Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hover over part properties

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jrhymes
1587 Views, 10 Replies

Hover over part properties

Coming from MDT I'm having a hard time adjusting to some of the features that are missing in Inventor. One of which was a command that allowed me to hover over any part in MDT and it would show me the part name and if it was a structural steel item would show me the G_L or length. I cannot find this feature in Inventor and don't even know if this is available. This allowed me to open an assembly and quickly go through it and see what it's made of. Anyone know of something like this and where to turn it on or get it?

Thx
Jason

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: jrhymes

I haven't used MDT since the 90's, I just RMB on the item and choose the iProperties.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
jrhymes

That is what i see as the only option right now. I guess if no one saw a faster, better way then it would be an expectable solution. What do you do when you need to identify 30-40 unique parts in a assembly? Right now I can mouse over them in MDT and they highlight and a popup tooltip comes up quickly telling me what it is. I can go through a 40 part assembly in about 10 seconds and know what it's built out of and all there length. It's kind of similar to this from manusoft for autocad http://www.manusoft.com/software/periscope/
Message 4 of 11
blair

Or just use the BOM tool within the IAM, you can customize and select the fields you want for the columns (you even get a free thumb-nail picture courtesy of the programmers from Autodesk)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
jrhymes
in reply to: blair

Yes, that was another option I was looking at but the bom window doesn't stay open. It's faster then using iproperties tho and may be an option. The icons do me no good since all structural shapes of the same family will have the same icon regardless of the size or shape. If the browser would show the correct part info it wouldn't bother me as much but because the browser defaults to the file name of the part, it can't always be trusted so that is why I'm looking for a place to get quick part info without having to drill into them.

Jason
Message 6 of 11
blair

You can always export to a Excel file with the fields/colums of your choosing as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11
jrhymes

? Not sure if I follow exporting to excel and how that would help.
Message 8 of 11
blair

Eport the BOM to an Excel with the columns you require. You can have a hard copy to work with as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 11
swhite

Should be able to open the BOM and see everything you need.

BOM.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

I seem to remember someone wrote an addin/program to do this..

I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Something like "iproperties display" or something like that.. 

edit.. found.. but looks like its not actively updated for new versions,etc..

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12487

and this

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12424

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 11
JasonRhymes
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks all for the help. The iProperty Display that mcgyvr pointed to in the first link is real close and will be very useful. Only thing is it only allows 1 property to be displayed and it will not show part iproperties inside an assembly. You have to open each assembly to see what it's made up of. I'll keep this one loaded and keep an eye out for other tools like it.

Thx
Jason
JasonRhymes
You may recognize me from the
thousands of previous newsreader posts
I've made over the last 10+ years
as Jason Rhymes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report