Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home view on open

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
samuel777
1463 Views, 10 Replies

Home view on open

I have been trying to change my settings but can't find where:

when I open a newly save file, it always opens zoomed in. I would like file to open to the "home view"

Thank you

Sammy

Inventor 2014 sp2

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: samuel777

AFAIK.. You cannot do that.

In general the view rep remembers the way the file was when it was last saved/closed.

You have some options in tools..application options..file tab (file open options)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11

Hi samuel777,

Try this:

Right-click the ViewCube, and then select Set Current View as Home > Fit to View.

And Possibly have a look at the setting found at:

Tools tab > Document Settings button > Modeling tab > Initial View Extents setting

Note that there has been some discussion about some models not behaving correctly, even when the Fit to View option was set:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/Initial-View-Extents-Problem/m-p/4609631#M...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/Zoom-level-when-opening-part-from-Assembly...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 11
SER4

I'm having a similar problem in 2023.2.  I think now the problem is related to having edit scope all Model States turned on:

SER4_0-1675273319119.png

If that is enabled, then whenever I open up the part fresh (and get that window popup), it will appear at Front view instead of Home view, and will be zoomed in.

I have a feeling I recall this behavior with iParts as well.  In fact, my current file was originally an iPart that I've since manually converted into Model States, but that is NOT the problem because I've just confirmed the faulty behavior for parts that never had iParts.

Not sure if there is anything we can do other than saving the part WITHOUT editing all members scope, but I'm not a fan of that because then I'll forget that a part does have model states.

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).
Message 5 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SER4

Hi! I am not aware of this behavior. If possible, please share the ipt file here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the Home View behavior here.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 11
SER4
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Attached is a simple test part that I just created from scratch (I think this is a software bug and not file-specific).

It has the [Primary] and a new Model State1.

I have saved this part with the scope of editing all model states.

When you open this up, it will be viewing at the Front view, (NOT the fitted Home View as desired), and I made the part 10m diameter, so it should also be zoomed in (i.e. does not fit the part to view in window).

Now toggle the scope to edit active model state only.  Save and close part.

Open part and it will (correctly) open to Home view fit to window.

(I'm on Pro 2023.2, Build 271).

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SER4

Hi! I see the issue now. It has something to do with the Edit Factory Scope prompt. When the prompt comes up, the Home View is interrupted and it looks at Front instead. If the prompt is disabled, the part will still open in Home View.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
SER4

@johnsonshiue,

Please fix this bug...or at least log it into your system.

Message 9 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! But, based on my understanding of how things work, I am not sure we have a good way to change the behavior. The prompt is there for a purpose. I could be wrong but there could be other prompts relying on this behavior to make things right. I need to check with the project team to see what options we may have.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 11
SER4

To clarify, I very much do appreciate the prompt!  (It reminds me that this particular file has multiple model states and that I need to be careful about what scope I'm editing).

However, once I OK the prompt(s), I'd still like the model to always initially be at home view.

Message 11 of 11
KandyKane18

Hi all.  

Just feeling the same pain with Open part without it opening to extents after creation.  I found the solution!  

As noted above about the Initial View Extents, you must zero these out.  

The Help article that solved the issue:

Issue:
After opening a specific file in Inventor, the zoom level does not honor the actual model size.
Causes:There are predefined view extents configured in Document Settings of the affected part.

Solution:
To reset this behavior, follow these steps:
  1. Open affected part.
  2. Open Document Settings.
  3. Switch to tab "Modeling".
  4. Set both values for Initial View Extents to zero.
  5. Close Document Settings.
  6. Save file.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Beim-ffnen-eines-M...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report