Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole To termination option

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
scott.monk
1109 Views, 5 Replies

Hole To termination option

Hello all,

I want to use the Hole command to place tapped holes to hold a pair of shafts in place inside a part using setscrews. I can make the holes for the shafts without issue. While cutting the holes for the setscrews I thought I could use the "To" Termination option and select the shaft hole as the terminating plane. However, when I do this I get en error:

"The attempted operation did not find any intersection between the Toolbody and the selected 'To' termination face/plane. Change the termination definition or the feature (profile) position."

I can work around the problem by using the fixed "Distance" termination option but this is obviously inferior as it would require manual adjustment should the shaft holes need to be repositioned. Am I missing something?

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: scott.monk

Why wouldn't you just use the Depth only option and set it to something line 3/16". The threaded hole only needs to enter the two shaft holes.

Going through one side of the hole to the other side of the hole really is going through the same surface twice which is the problem.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: blair

Is this an acceptable solution?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

@scott.monk wrote:

.... While cutting the holes for the setscrews I thought I could use the "To" Termination option and select the shaft hole as the terminating plane.

A hole is a cylinder - not a plane.
And even if it did terminate at the cylinder the tapped hole would not be deep enough. (it would terminate on near side not far side, or how would the program know to terminate near or far?).

Create a workplane between the hole axis for the termination plane. (or you might be able to use d4 as the termination distance depending on how you might edit the part in the future)

Termination.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
scott.monk
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, setting the depth of the hole is the obvious solution and the one that I have used when I have run into this problem before. The work plane method is adaptive and resolves the issue but is arguably more work than adjusting the hole depth.

"A hole is a cylinder - not a plane.
And even if it did terminate at the cylinder the tapped hole would not be deep enough. (it would terminate on near side not far side, or how would the program know to terminate near or far?)."

I disagree with your statement about the resulting intersection of the tapped hole with the cylinder not being deep enough. Determining the surface intersection of two cylinders whose axes are at angles to each other is trivial problem, and one which is solved in the model after the operation is completed using either of the work-arounds discussed here. As to which side the program should choose for termination, perhaps I am missunderstanding, but surely the buttons that appear to the right of the selection button when the "To" option is activated giving the option "Check to terminate the feature on the extended face" are for just that? At least, in MHO, the button icons certainly seem to indicate that that is their functionality...

Message 6 of 6
blair

When you selected the Hole, the full surface of the hole was highlighted. Boolean logic will only allow for one plane/surface. Hence Inventor thoughing up the error. Just becauce we understand where you want the hole to stop, it's much tougher having to describe in in Boolean Logic. If you did a Split Face of the shaft hole to, your To-Face would work.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report