Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole On Point Issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rdo.santos
369 Views, 13 Replies

Hole On Point Issue

I'm trying to make some holes using "On Point" feature

As seen in the image below I have the axis and points to make it, and suceeded making some (threaded ones).

The points and axis where projected from other part.

1.jpg

But for some reason I can't make it to work in other points, the result for it is in image below

It deletes the entire body and remains only the Hole

2.jpg

Have anyone experienced this before?

Any tips to solve it?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ampster402
in reply to: rdo.santos

1st question I have is what is with all the axis?  You can just project geometry (as long as what you are projecting from is parallel to this surface) to locate the hole points if that is what you are using the axis for.

What version of Inventor and is it up to date with SP's and/or hotfixes?

What options are you using when creating the holes?

Message 3 of 14
mcgyvr

Can you post your part/assembly?

Why aren't you just creating a sketch on that face and projecting the geometry from the other part to create the holes?

Or have you tried the bolted connection generator? 

I don't know why you have all those axes.. I think you are doing way more work than it needs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 14
rdo.santos
in reply to: ampster402

I'm using Inventor 2012 with latest updates

The surface where I'm making the holes it's irregular, that's why I'm projecting axis and point to make it.

These are the options I'm using:

3.jpg

Message 5 of 14
rdo.santos
in reply to: mcgyvr

I can't make a sketch on surface since it's irregular

I'll make an assembly with just the parts I need to you understand, I can't post the whole assembly thought

Message 6 of 14
rdo.santos

I attached the part, someone can help?
Message 7 of 14
JDMather

What happens when you do a Manage>Rebuild All on part2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
rdo.santos
in reply to: JDMather

I'm getting more errors by doing this, did you try it and solved the problem?
Message 9 of 14
JDMather

I didn't understand your workflow - looked more difficult than needed.  After I ran into early history tree errors - a moved on to other work.

Maybe I can get back to this one in a couple of weeks once things settle down around here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
editheraven

If you want the holes to be normal to the surface you can create a plane at an offset from the surface you want the holes on. Create new sketch on it and project the geometry. You create holes on it with the distance needed to reach your part.

Message 11 of 14
rdo.santos
in reply to: editheraven

Did you downloaded the model? The surface where I want to make the holes it's irregular, can't make planes on it, download it and try please. If you find a solution let me know
Message 12 of 14
editheraven

I understood that. This is why I said to make a plane parralel with a "section plane" of that part to some offset from that surface and on that plane, not on the surface, you can make the holes. You make the holes not on the irregular plane but on a offseted plane, in such a manner that they will reach your part. This is the only solution I find for drilling holes on a irregular surface. You make a plane not on the surface but above it.

Message 13 of 14
rdo.santos

If I understood right what you mean if i make a plane parallel to the surface, the hole will not be in the correct angle
Message 14 of 14
editheraven

Well if the axis and points are projected geometry aren't they normal to the middle plane? Hence, they are normal to another plane parralel with the middle plane. If you want the holes to be made at different angles, then you must use multiple planes, each at the angle needed. I don't have Inventor at home I might try help you when I'll get to work. But the problem is simple as I get it : if the axis of the holes will be parralel, then they are normal to the same plane/sketch. If they are not, then you'll need multiple planes/sketches.

le : wait! I didn't said to do a plane parralel to the surface. No no. I said do a plane parralel with the cross-section plane of your part. The ones found in "origin" tree.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report