Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole note and Quantity

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
CelticDesignServices
3587 Views, 13 Replies

Hole note and Quantity

I seem to be having an odd occurance here.

I have an example here where I have two different types of holes being put into a part.

One of course was done using the Hole command, the other was by Extruding the hole, then Patterning each.

In the attached picture you'll see how each instance generates output when using the Hole and Thread Note for annotation.

I have the Hole Note set to include the quantity callout, but as you'll see, the holes created with the Hole command does not include the patterned number but the hole created with the Extrude command does.

What am I missing?

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Holes are done using the Hole command, while creating a circular feature using the Extrude/Cut is not a hole but a circular feature. Even though they may look the same in the model, the parametric data behind them is completely different.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14

Blair,

Yes, I understand that. What I'm attemping to do is point out that if one needs to insert a hole such as a threaded hole and such, that they should in fact use the Hole command as opposed to Extruding it.

What I am also trying to show is that by using the Hole command, the annotations are more streamlined, but in this instance if you pattern a hole generated the 'correct" way, the number of instances of that hole is not shown in the Hole Note command. I feel it should considering it was created with the Hole command and thus the Hole Note command should be able to populate accordingly.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 4 of 14

Single Hole using the Hole Feature, pattern hole, IDW populates correctly in the table. If you are using the Hole Table, you would still need the X-Y coordinates for each hole.

I guess is you wanted the total number of one size of hole without any regards to X-Y location.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 14

Blair,

What I'm looking for is for the Hole Note to correctly call out the number of holes in the pattern it is dimensioning just as it does for a pattern of extruded holes or features.

Afterall, it IS a Hole Note and thus it should correctly call out the Hole feature correctly. It does so when it comes to the thread, the depth, c'bore, etc....it just doesn't call out the number of instances eventhough the option to do such is selected.

That's all. This is not a production drawing or anything of that sort, no Hole Table needed, this is just an example to be used in training.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 6 of 14

I think the problem you're seeing is that hole annotations are defined individually for every one of the 52 different hole possibilities.  Your tapped through hole note definition doesn't include the quantity callout; your plain through hole note definition does include the quantity callout.  You can fix this by editing the dimension style you're using and making sure that all of the hole note definitions (at least all of the ones that you use) include the quantity.

Message 7 of 14

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm not being clear enough???

Attached is showing the style selection we have set for Hole Notes.

Note that is shows we have the "QTYNOTE" option added in. Am I wrong in thinking that having this option for the Hole Note should in turn actually add the Quantity of the holes in said Hole Note?

I mean, it makes perfect, logical and obvious sense to me that if you want the quantity of the holes created by the Hole command in a part to be called out by way of using the Hole Note.

Thus leading to my original post here.....why doesn't it?

Why, in fact does the quantity only show up in the Hole Note when the note is applied to an Extruded feature as opposed to the feature that was created by way of the Hole command? That makes ZERO sense.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 8 of 14

Possible bug?

Not sure how you could only select one hole and have the total number of  holes show up. All other commands require you to either select the view or selection box to determine the number of holes.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 14

In your screenshot, look just above the hole note definition-- there is a slam-down menu there that says "Thru".  There are 51 other selections in that menu, and an individual hole note definition for each one of them.  I expect that the one for "Thru - Full Thread" doesn't have the quantity in it.

Message 10 of 14

Blair,

If you pattern the hole, the Hole Note will detect the number of instances of that pattern, much along the lines of doing an Auto-Drop of a fastener to a patterned series of holes, it'll populate each hole of that pattern with the fastener you are inserting in the assembly. Of course if you have the same hole elsewhere other than in that pattern, you'll have to edit the quantity manually, but that's not what I'm concerned with for this demo.

Bixler - You hit the nail on the head! That was the issue...thanks! Sorry I didn't pick up on that in your earlier post. I never even thought about it.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 11 of 14

IV will calculate the total number of like holes in a view, not just a pattern or feature.

hole.png

PDSU 2016
Message 12 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:

IV will calculate the total number of like holes in a view, not just a pattern or feature.

Unfortunately for me, both of these options give me an incorrect count from time to time. I can't figure out what I'm missing about it either. See the attached picture... Where the heck is it getting 6 from?

Inventor Professional
Message 13 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: jeanchile

Oh, and for the record, I get the same quantity with either of these options selected on that drawing. And, there are 11 of those same plates in that assembly. I would think I would get either 2, 4, or 22... not 6?

Inventor Professional
Message 14 of 14
rdyson
in reply to: jeanchile

Without the part and drawing, I have no idea (may not with them, though)

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report