Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hex Cuts into Surface

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
chgreer
1734 Views, 2 Replies

Hex Cuts into Surface

Hello,

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I've searched, but am new enough to the CAD vocabulary that I might not be searching the correct terms. 

I have a part that I would like to light-weight with a hexagonal pattern cut into the back of it. Ideally, I would like something like the Hole function, where I can cut a hexagonal "hole" into the flat back of the part. I can't seem to find the correct course of actions to get what I want. I need to preserve the surface on the front of the part. Unfortunately, when I use the split tool, I cut a hexagonal hole through the entire part.

I've attached a screen shot showing the geometry of the pattern. Each 'hole' can be slightly different, but I'm happy cutting them to a uniform distance to start.

Thanks for your help. It's possible that I'm going about this completely wrong, so feel free to set me straight.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
graemev
in reply to: chgreer

Extrude using the Cut option.  You may wish to specify a distance.  Other termination options are also available.

Message 3 of 3
WHolzwarth
in reply to: graemev

Perhaps like that. By using the "Island" body I didn't need to select all hex regions individually.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report