Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with strip layout

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
310 Views, 1 Reply

Help with strip layout

I Design progressive dies and tooling for metal the stamping industry. For those of you familiar with this industry I need some advise on the best approach for a strip layout using IV! I am building a model of a progressive strip (piercings, guttings, and forms.) The strip is .013 thick x .750 wide and the lead is .750 with 35 progressions. My approach with IV has been to build the strip within a single part file (not a sheet metal part). I extruded a simple .750 x 35” rectangle .013 thick, then I sketch and extrude / cut holes and many different small and complex gutting shapes (only 1 occurrence of each), then I array them as required to overlap and whittle out the progressions of the part shape to build the strip. This approach seems to work well but my part file is currently 4mb and growing! Is there a more efficient way of doing this? When I bring the strip part file into my tooling assembly drawing my system goes to its knees, chokes, and becomes sickly. A new system after the holidays is in the works but for now I’m using P4 2.0 500mb ram matrox millennium 32mb video 😞
Thanks, Tom
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
rllthomas
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm only guessing here but if your arrays are large that could be the issue. Any way you can make iFeatures and use them in places to reduce your array size? Also if you are doing arrays try to avoid having the draft feature in the array. - Rich Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report