Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with smoothing out a converted wireframe to 3D part

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
1469 Views, 8 Replies

Help with smoothing out a converted wireframe to 3D part

Recently I had to convert a .stl to an .ipt, to do this I converted the .stl to a .dxf and then stitched to wire together. Now I need to make a detailed drawing of the part, but the surfaces are not smooth, anyway I can fix that? All I was able to find while researching was how to smooth lofts, which this is not.

Details: Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013

(I had to delete the sticthings to make the file small enough)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: 426942

1. You did not need to convert to dxf

2. You can convert your Inventor surface model to a solid model using the Sculpt command in Inventor and selecting the surface body.  Sculpt.PNG

3. Rather than use an stl (faceted faces) for something this simple - I would create it over from scratch in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the answer, and your time.
Message 4 of 9
JoAnn_Hogan

Are you bu any chance designing a CO2 gas cylinder powered balsa wood F1 car?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 9
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Not balsa wood but plastic. It is planned that it will be printed on a 3D printer. To be specific a Makerbot, which is why it was in an stl format.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

Do you have the original file (before it was ever saved in stl format)? *.dwg? *.dxf? *.ipt?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
in reply to: JDMather

No, that is why I needed to convert it to a solid body. The problem is the school where I study has it so that any deleted file is directly removed, completly by-passing the recycling bin, as then there is no hopes of recovering deleted material.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

Two words - Thumb Drive.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JoAnn_Hogan

Because you are designing a CO2 car I thought you might find this interesting. Top Gear SA has a "F1 in schools challenge" and my company is part of this project. Go have a look at it, you might find it interesting: http://www.modena.co.za/news/f1-in-schools-technology-challenge/19

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report