Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with sheet metal part

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
pball
856 Views, 8 Replies

Help with sheet metal part

I could use some help making a sheet metal part work. The part is good except for where two flanges meet and don't have a gap, which makes it impossible to get a flat pattern.

The part attached is from 2014 and I have two pictues the part also.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: pball

How will this part be fabricated? press brake only?

Why not just sketch the complete bottom face then add the flanges

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
pball
in reply to: mcgyvr

Press brake only
Message 4 of 9
jneal

See attached. This is how i would do that piece. I did not bother to trim/fix the ends. I left all of your sketches in tact as well...

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
Message 5 of 9
KulasekaranK

Hi,.

I am using inventor 2012 so i could not use your file,.

From the attached picture I understud that, the part doesn't have a slit to 'unfold' (as you told)

@pball wrote:

" where two flanges meet and don't have a gap,"

Make a slit before creating a flange at the meeting point,.

Message 6 of 9
pball
in reply to: jneal

Well I was looking for a way to have it with the ends like they are in my original part. I ended up after starting this thread using a method like you posted and manually fixing the ends because I needed to get the part done.

KulasekaranK

I don't quite understand what you mean, could you make an example or something?

Message 7 of 9
icouture

The easiest way to do this would be to make the bottom of the piece as a face. Once that is done, use the flange tool to make your flanges. Once the part is fabricated you'd then only need to get a welder to seal off the slits.
Message 8 of 9
pball
in reply to: icouture

That's how jneal did the part he attached and how I ended up making my part. I'm trying to see if there is a method to making this part where the ends of the flanges do not need to be fixed.
Message 9 of 9
IgorMir

Hi,

Please have a look at this part. I think it answers your question about the ends of the returned flanges.

The file is in IV2010 format.

Best Regards,

Igor.

@pball wrote:
That's how jneal did the part he attached and how I ended up making my part. I'm trying to see if there is a method to making this part where the ends of the flanges do not need to be fixed.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report