Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with radius

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
karthur1
398 Views, 9 Replies

Help with radius

Trying to add a radius in a corner and its not cooperating.  Take a look at this image.  Notice how the one radius curves around the part, but the other one does not?  I know these two look different because they are different sizes.  I would like to get the 1in radius to go straight across like the R3/4, but it will not do it.  I've tried the options under the chevron, but nothing gives me what I want.  Any clues on how to get this to work?

2012-04-12_1341.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: karthur1

Something like this?

Radius.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
karthur1
in reply to: JDMather

Exactly

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

What is your manufacturing tolerance?
What if you used a fillet R .9999 or even .999999?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
karthur1

Tolerance wont be that close. It will be a tool radius formed by the endmill.  Would be around 1.00 +.00/-.01.  Why does that matter in how the fillet is created?

Message 6 of 10

Hi

Using a Face Fillet rather than an Edge Fillet might be something to try too.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

@karthur1 wrote:

Why does that matter in how the fillet is created?

I didn't investigate long enough to decide whether it is a bug or logical.  Autodesk might want to take a close look at this.

In my original picture I actually did it Exactly R1, but not with a fillet.  I use extruded surface for the curve and a second extruded cylindical surface to close the envelope and then Sculpt.

Don't go out any further with the .999 trick than you need as the further out you go the more likely it might fail in a future release (would be my concern - based only on superstition).

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
karthur1

Using the Face Fillet like Curtis suggested, I could only get it to .999 (on this model). I have some other parts that are similar with the same radius, but the geometry is slightly different.  I never use the sculpt command, so I will have to play with that a little.

Once the fillet moves out past tangency, it follows the radius from extrusion1.  I was hoping there was some button that I wasnt pushing to make it do what I wanted.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
karthur1

JD,

Can you post the part that you did here?  I have another part that is giving me fits and I want to see how you used the sculpt.

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

I will have to make up a new part, but I simply -

extruded a arc as a surface.  Distance doesn't matter as long as it goes all the way through the part.

Then I extruded a square as a surface. Distance doesn't matter as long as it goes all the way through the part and the extruded arc surface.

Then Sculpt and select the surfaces flood fills the enclosed envelope within the surfaces and solid bodies.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report