Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with modelling an aircraft nose

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
np8297
1626 Views, 5 Replies

Help with modelling an aircraft nose

Hi everyone,

I was really hoping that someone may be able to help me with a project I am doing at the moment.  I have to create a hollow model of an aircraft.  Most of it is reasonably straight forward, however, I am having real problems modelling the nose and cockpit area due to the inconsistency of the shape from the cabin towards the nose of the aircraft.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Nick

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
2grumpy
in reply to: np8297

1 - solid and shell it

or

2 - surfaces and offset it

Message 3 of 6
signmeup
in reply to: 2grumpy

It does depend on how the nose geometry is defined. If you know the profiles along the length of the nose then you can set up workplanes and sketch the profiles, then connect them with lines going along the nose by setting up more workplanes at angles. If your sketch lines meet up at each intersection (project geometry) then you can patch and stitch the profiles.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Attach the file of what you have attempted so far.
Is this a school project?
It might help to know how much training you have had.

Have you gone through the tutorials in my signature?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
np8297

Many thanks for your help guys, I had a go at doing the model last night, but got frustrated and didn't really get anywhere.  But I've attached the 2D drawing from which I have to make a scaled down model of.  It's a University design project and we haven't had much training on the software.  Just a couple of weeks of lectures in first year.

I haven't had a look at your tutorials, but I will when I come round to having another go later this afternoon.

Once again, many thanks.

Nick

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@np8297 wrote:

.... we haven't had much training on the software.  Just a couple of weeks of lectures in first year.

Nick

To give you a relative benchmark -

my students would have 15 weeks of Inventor standard geometry (prismatic, cylinders, extrudes, revolves, sweeps before moving on to something like that,
In their second class -  Surface Modeling - they would get into something like that maybe as their course project (so at least another 8 weeks instruction in complex surfacing, lofts, boundary patches....).

In other words - to get anything decent would require more than a couple of weeks of lectures.

Most of the tutorials in my signature are actually a little out-of-date, but the Vacuum tutorial is only a couple of years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report