Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Meshed body and file type to solid

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mitchell
288 Views, 2 Replies

Help with Meshed body and file type to solid

Hi, 

My name is Alex and I'm currently working on my bachelor project, I am in quite a mess... I hope somebody could clarify this for me:

I NEED TO load a cad of a car to ANSYS. On this software the best file type is STEP and the body must be a SOLID as I will have to make boolean operations with it later. 

WHAT I HAVE been provided with (there are two cars);

- Car 1: In .stp file. The car is made with mesh and solid elements (Tyres, lights, etc)

- Car 2: 3DS MAX file, .stl, .igs. This one is completely meshed. 

I need to make this models into solid and convert them to STEP. I have tried to convert the files to dxf using FreeCAD, and then when importing them to Inventor 2014 selecting create new solid body, etc. But in the preview only the front view is exported and not the whole car. After procesing i just get a bunch of points. 

I also found this addon, mesh enabler.. http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/inventor_mesh/updates But it is not compatible with 2014. Is this reliable option for me? Is it worth me getting inventor 2013 and use this tool? (I can get it off student license)

Thank you, any reply or suggestion will be appreciated. 

Best regards

Alex

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: mitchell

@mitchell wrote:

Hi, 

My name is Alex and I'm currently working on my bachelor project, I am in quite a mess...

My opinion is that you should have come here and asked questions BEFORE taking on this project.

I don't think you will be able to accomplish your goal with Inventor and the file(s) you have.

My guess is your best chance of success is a simplifed (perhaps very simplified) representation modeled by you.

There is a toy car tutorial in my signature - you might be able to adapt it to your needs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
ic198
in reply to: mitchell

Hi,

Have you got access to Rhino? If not you can download a demo version from here

http://www.rhino3d.com/download

that will let you save 25 times. There is a Rhino command MeshToNURB that will convert your meshes into Nurbs surfaces. These can then be saved as STEP files for import into Inventor etc.

Hope this helps

Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report