Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Inventor to Modify STP model

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
corneliushenke
1039 Views, 7 Replies

Help with Inventor to Modify STP model

I'm new to this and stuck. It is frustrating.  I have a STP file of a seat that I just want to simply modify it's dimensions.  Bring some aspects in closer, raise the back, and hollow out the middle.  I can't seem to do anything and in searching online I only ended up with Inventor Fusion 2013 R1 that crashes each time, and Fusion 360 which has to be the worst user experience I have ever found in a piece of software.

Can someone download this model and tell me how I can simply modify it?  It would mean a lot.  (Side note I understand a little about solid models and surface models, but I just want something to work, otherwise inventor is a glorifed model viewer.

I couldn't attach the file so here is the link to it. http://grabcad.com/library/ducati-998-seat

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CCarreiras
in reply to: corneliushenke

Hi!

You can use some tools in Inventor like: Move faces and delete faces to do edits in Step Files.

Post the file and the modifications you want to do, we help you.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
JDMather

@corneliushenke wrote:

I'm new to this and stuck. It is frustrating.  .... ..., but I just want something to work, otherwise inventor is a glorifed model viewer.

Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation.

What you want to do is not trivial since the model you downloaded is what is commonly referred to as a "dumb" or base solid without dimensions.

Without training Inventor will only be useful as a model viewer to you.

To make the changes you want is well beyond beginner level requiring extensive training and/or experience.

If it were my project - I would probably remodel from scratch as a fully intellegent parametric model  using the model you downloaded only for reference.

I attached the Inventor (base) model here for those who do not have a GrabCAD account.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
corneliushenke
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather,

I would like to cut out the center and just focus on the rim. I would like to play with the over all shape of the seat as if it was waiting for a piece of leather to be stretched over it. Could you and your expertise help me with that?

Thanks Again
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

@corneliushenke wrote:
Thanks JDMather,

I would like to cut out the center and just focus on the rim.

Extrude-Cut.

Have you gone through these?

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
corneliushenke
in reply to: JDMather

I will give it a go.  I went through the lynda.com tutorial series, but I just couldn't get the basic shape to unlock.  I could modify all of the base components, but couldn't get the top and center to adjust.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8

If you are having trouble with Fusion360 may I suggest posting to the fusion 360 forum? 

What application are you working with so we can provide specific help? 

Also an image or two with some markup of what you at trying to do would help. 

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 8

I'm working with / learning Inventor because I know it will be beneficial in the future.  I just assumed that in order to modify a surface model instead of a solid one that I needed to use Fusion.  My original statement above was more about how fusion kept crashing and Inventor was giving me personal troubles.  I'm now focusing on learning inventor more before drilling into to further questioning.  Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report