Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Inventor Studio Lighting

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Jam_Jumpin
2318 Views, 14 Replies

Help with Inventor Studio Lighting

I'm wanting to light something in the style of the attached image. 

I want to create a hollow object with holes in and place a light inside that shines out through the holes. 

I'm having no luck with this at all. Any ideas on how to achieve it. 

The object I put it in is only 3 inches deep so I can't really fit a spotlight inside and I don't really undestand how local lights work properly. 

Self illuminated textures don't seem to actually emit light, they just look illuminated. 

Inventor 2014

c1a4673c29ecb6a7f0c26173771aaa84.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Jam_Jumpin

http://www.b2-design.biz/tuts.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The object I put it in is only 3 inches deep so I can't really fit a spotlight inside ...

I don't really understand this?  I don't think a spotlight would be appropriate and I don't thing the Inventor Studio lights have any "size".

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 15
Jam_Jumpin
in reply to: JDMather

Which tutorial were you sggesting? It's not covered in teh lighting one. 

Message 5 of 15
Jam_Jumpin
in reply to: JDMather

Well to get the effect shown in the photo I'd have to put a separate spotlight for each slot and make the hot spot really small to create that fan of light.

If you make the angle of the light too big then it lights up everything because the beam is outside the object. 

I just want to be able to put one or two lights in that will shine through the slots.

I've attached an example. 

Message 6 of 15
Rory_M

A local point light will give you exactly what you want.

Think of it as a light bulb, you'd only need one within a notched lamp shade to create that type of shadow.
Message 7 of 15
Jam_Jumpin
in reply to: Rory_M

I thought that but I put one inside an enclosure and it didn't work as expected so I must be doing it wrong. 

Message 8 of 15
mpatchus

A local point light inside the fixture will work.

You just have to tweeak the scene lighting to get your desired effect.

Try placing a point in the fixture part to make it easier to locate the light.

point light.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 9 of 15
Jam_Jumpin
in reply to: mpatchus

Man, that's perfect, it's exactly what I want but I can't do it!! Haha!

The local light is made up of two pyramids, I'm not sure which one emits the light or whether it's a shpere of light?

Could you upload the model you used for that screen shot so I can see how you positioned the light and the various settings please. That would help me a lot. 

Message 10 of 15
mpatchus

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 11 of 15
JDMather

You might experiment with making the inside of the shade fixture a reflective color like chrome.

Message 12 of 15
Jam_Jumpin

Thanks I finally worked it out. Although placing them is really difficult. 

Message 13 of 15
mpatchus

Placing local lights is much easier if you include work points in your part.

I always have one point for where I want the light to be located.

If the part is unusally shaped, or i want a specific light feature, I'll place another work feature that I can use for my light target.

It is much easier to make adjustments to the work features than it is to manually adjust the lights.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 14 of 15
Jam_Jumpin

For some reason some of my local lights have targets and the others have the target option greyed out. I don't know why. 

Message 15 of 15
mpatchus

Depends on the type of light you activate for the local light.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report