Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with DA and derived parts & .idw's

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aschnell
376 Views, 4 Replies

Help with DA and derived parts & .idw's

So I have a Right Hand Part A, and a Left Hand Part A(Left is Mirrored From Right Hand Part A, with an extra Rout added).

I have .idw's for both the right & left parts.

Is there a way to Design Assist Left & Right part A into a Left & Right part B?

Right now I can Design assist the .idw of Left Hand Part A(this was the derived part), and get Left Hand Part B .idw, Left Hand Part B .ipt, & Right Hand Part B .ipt, but I have to redo the .idw for the Right Hand Part B.

I have to do alot of these daily for specials, and not having to redimension a the one .idw would save me alot of time.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BMiller63
in reply to: aschnell

see this link, particularly Harvey99's steps:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/How-to-create-derived-parts-and-it-s-idw/td-p/225849...

not sure about the left/right redimming though, but worth a shot

Message 3 of 5
BMiller63
in reply to: BMiller63

not sure why, but the previous link doesn't seem to work.

Try clicking this link. (same link done differently)

Message 4 of 5
andrewiv
in reply to: BMiller63

Since you didn't say what version of Inventor you're using, I'm not sure if this will work for you or not.  In Inventor 2011 you can link the idw to different models.  Do the steps that you mentioned and end up with both parts and an idw of only the derived part.  Now open up the original base part idw and save as the new part number.  Now you can replace the model reference in the idw linking it to the new part and you should have all the files you need.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 5 of 5
aschnell
in reply to: andrewiv

Currently using Inventor 2008, but making the upgrade soon to Inventor 2011.

I was able to use the information given in the replies to rename the .ipt to just .ip and change the link that way. I thought there would be a way to change what the .idw was linked to without having to manually break the link. I got it to work though, it has an extra step that I was hoping to avoid though(still beats redimensioning everything though).

Thanks for the timely replies,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report