Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Contact type for stress analysis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CAD-One
675 Views, 2 Replies

Help with Contact type for stress analysis

I am analysing to see if the casting would break when we apply SIDE LOAD to the top of the pole.

The schematic shows the assembly parts; but i have simplified the simulation model to 2-part assembly.Set screws, helps to keep the parts concentric, Through bolt keeps the parts togeather.  With a 1/16 clearance, I am confused whatkind of contact to use? Automatic contacts uses a bonded method. I did not find suitable help online for this kind of application.Can any one explain what contact is applicable here ? 

Capture.PNG

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: CAD-One

@CAD-One wrote:

I am analysing to see if the casting would break ...

Inventor doesn't do fracture analysis.

Limited to static linear analysis within the elastic deformation portion of the stress/strain curve.

Limited to relatively small displacements.

Fracture would be into the non-linear plastic deformation portion of the curve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
CAD-One
in reply to: JDMather

I should have said, I want to check the von mises stress to see if it goes past yeild stress value.

Due to the 1/16 clearance there is a slight hinging effect around the long connecting bolt. Because the rest of the contact types wont work for such large clearance, i just applied bonded contact and moved on.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report