Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please - Problem Importing JT files into Inventor Pro 2009

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pondfish
995 Views, 7 Replies

Help please - Problem Importing JT files into Inventor Pro 2009

Hi,
I have recently tried to import a couple of JT files into Inventor Pro 2009 and have experienced similar problems with both files.
In both cases the translation reported successful, however when i checked the models they were not the correct size.
The first file i recieved was 1/10 full size, and the second file was 1/1000th full size. When i used the measure tool i noticed the first file was measuring in CM and the second in Meters. The Inventor Assembly drawing units were set as mm.
It seems to me that the JT files have been exported with the units set as CM / M and the JT translator appears to assume they are MM.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem, or advise of a work around? Is there anyway of scaling the models up to the correct size? I have tried altering the drawing units, to match the JT file units but this not alter the size of the models, the issue i think is within the Jt translator, but there does not appear to be an option to change the units. I regulary translate IGES STEP and SAT files and have never had this issue.

My only solution at this moment in time is to ask the customer if they can set the units to mm before they export the JT file. I'm not sure if this is possible in VisMockup (The CAD program they use) as i have never used it before.

I have attached a copy of the second JT file in case it is of use.

Any advice would be greatly appeciated!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Santosh
in reply to: pondfish

Have you tried setting the import units through the import options dialog?

When you select the .jt file in File Open, click on the Options button. Under Units, set the desired import units.

HTH,
Santosh
Message 3 of 8
jlackey4740

Have you tried the JT Translator from Autodesk Labs?
Message 4 of 8
ChrisPan01

This is a known issue both on Inventor2009 and Inventor2010. We will investigate it.

Autodesk Inventor Translator
Chris Pan
Message 5 of 8
pondfish

Hi Santosh,

When i open a jt file and click, the import options button, there is no option offered to enable me to set the desired import units.

i am using the Autodesk internal jt translator (add in).

Any ideas, or can you suggest a work around for this problem?
Message 6 of 8
pondfish

Hi jlackey 4740,

Yes i think so - it is listed under add-ins as the autodesk internal jt translator. i think i downloaded it from the Autodesk downloads website.
Message 7 of 8
pondfish

Hi Chris,

So it's a known issue with the jt translator is it? Although i'm sure i downloaded a jt file just after i installed the translator and it appeared to be fine. Can't be 100% sure of that though.
I have asked if the customer if the jt files can be sent in the correct units (MM) out of VisMockUp (UGS). But it seems all the customer can offer is to save the files in different versions of jt (6.4 - 7.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.2). This may be due to the engineer not understanding the CAD package too well. Most of them know how to do what they need to do, and no more.

If it is an unresolved known issue with the translator, do you know of a workaround to scale the model to the correct size? I tried coverting the model to STEP format then using the scale command in Mechanical Desktop. Although this scaled up the components to the correct size, it did not position them correctly in model space from the origin.
Message 8 of 8
AustinLiu

Hi pondfish,

I am sorry to say there is no direct workaround to solve the JT problem directly on translator side, and not sure whether you can using other formats to translate your data, like Parasolid.

We will put this is issue in high priority. Would you contact me via e-mail? I have some questions to confirm.
Thanks for your feedback and help!

Austin
Inventor Translator QA
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums