Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with wire model

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
JPDu
737 Views, 13 Replies

Help needed with wire model

Hello there, 

I have some issues and can't seem to find the answer any place. I am currently trying to open up some product models to render some good product images, and I have access to the following file types: .3ds, .igs and .dwg

When I attempt to open the .igs all I have is wires.

When I open the .3ds in Max the surfaces are randomly flipped inside out.

And I am unaware of using the .dwg as a 3d model so that I can render some nice shots.

Suggestions please? I think the .igs has the most potential, I just don't know how to turn this into a solid:

igs file.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CCarreiras
in reply to: JPDu

Hi!

Post the model and we will see....

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
wimann

J,

I want to say that I've had some luck creating surfaces and/or stitching surfaces in an .igs model to create a solid but it has been a while so I'm not 100% certain.

And as long as the cad file is a 3d file you should be able to do that. Or open it in cad and export it as a step file.

At any rate, Carlos is right. You'll get a much more definitive answer if you post the file here so that we can give it a whirl.

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

@JPDu wrote:

And I am unaware of using the .dwg as a 3d model....

File>Open and set the Options to Import.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
JPDu
in reply to: JDMather

Here is the IGS file. Thank you for your quick replies! Very much appreciated.

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

Let's take a look at what you have in the DWG file.

Attach it here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 14
JPDu

Thank you JD. Here is a DWG of an actuator which I cannot seem to import properly. It is supposed to look like this:

PHOTO_20140613_131148.jpg

Message 8 of 14
JDMather

Unfortunately you have nothing but wireframes - you will have to model the parts.

Fortunately - they are fairly simple parts to model.

Message 9 of 14
JPDu

So no luck with the IGS either? I could supply the .3DS as well. Maybe its something I missed when importing?

Message 10 of 14
wimann

You can upload the .3ds if you want and I can see try opening it. Though if you're getting these from a client or manufacturer, the best file format is probably a step. Have you tried asking for a .stp?

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 11 of 14
JDMather

@JPDu wrote:

So no luck with the IGS either?...

Not a matter of luck.

The IGES opened fine.

But there no solid geometry in the file - only wireframe.

Message 12 of 14
JPDu
in reply to: wimann

Some of the models had a step file, which opened perfectly and I have been able to render some great shots. However others only have a .dxf .igs .dwg and .3ds. Very frustrating that I can't open any of them... What could have caused this?

I have attached the .3ds model.

Message 13 of 14
JPDu

I see, is there any simple way to surface the model rather than doing the whole part over from scratch? I was looking at loft commands, however I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to such features.
Message 14 of 14
JDMather

@JPDu wrote:
I see, is there any simple way to surface the model rather than doing the whole part over from scratch? I was looking at loft commands, however I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to such features.

Sure, but since the geometry is would be simple cylinders and primatic - it would be far faster to use the given wireframe only as reference and remodel as solids.  I would not take the time to surface a faceted wireframe. 

Probably about an hour to model as solids

and 3 hrs to surface the wireframe facets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report