Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed for advanced homework.

108 REPLIES 108
Message 1 of 109
Anonymous
4269 Views, 108 Replies

Help needed for advanced homework.

Hi.

I just got this paper handed out that's due this friday. I like to start early on these things, and although I feel like I don't have too much time for this particular assignment, I couldn't have started any sooner.

I'm not looking for someone to do this assigment for me, I'm just looking for some helpful tips, and a walkthrough would be perfect but I doubt anyone has got the time for that. 

The problem for me is that I haven't used inventor before. We started using it on school two weeks ago and I've done all the exercises, but this seems beyond me. Any help as to where I should start, how I should do it etc would be immencely appreciated.

Right now I've done part 6 just to get started, and I'm starting on part 6. I'm unsure as to where to begin..

Any help and discussion appreciated!

Edit: I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2013 professional.

Edit 2: If there's a problem with the language, I'll be happy to translate whatever you need to understand it instantly. I just figured the images and measurements should be enough, but I clearly understand if anyone has any questions about the other text. I'll obviously answer any other questions as well related to this.

Edit 3: Any feedback is appreciated. If there's something wrong about this post, the info I'm giving etc. 

108 REPLIES 108
Message 81 of 109
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

What tool?

Hehe, I'll take another crack at it.

Message 82 of 109
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

The Auto-Dimension/Constraint tool.

Forget you ever saw it until you have several years of experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 83 of 109
Anonymous

I was being ironic, I'm sorry about that.

I've now checked this part 3 now, and I think I removed all the automatic constrains and dimensions, but I was messing around a bit before I (hopefully) got it right by myself so it might not be 100%. Hopefully I haven't forgotten something, but it's been a very busy couple of days so I've only been able to do 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there. I've done my best though.

I've done part 9 as well, and I'll just attach that file to have it on here. 

When it comes to what I think is the last part, part 9, I'm lost. I'm not sure how to do the top part. The (94,5)mm line, when it's not straight anymore, I guess I can make an arc there, but how do I know what dimension it should be? All I know is that it's supposed to fit part 1. The angle back to the 30mm will work itself out from the arc. Also, the bottom left angle, is it just 45 degrees? Should I know that somehow? And the bottom right angle I'm assuming is solved by using the fillet feature.

Hopefully tomorrow we can look at assemling this. Maybe that's taking some of my focus from finding solutions myself, if so I do apologize but it's not intentionally.

Message 84 of 109
JDMather

Always place origin center point at center of rotation (axis).

Use contruction lines to help dimension/constrain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 85 of 109
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

It answered most of my questions, but I'm still stuck trying to figure out how to connect the top and bottom part together. What I mean is that I can now totally figure out most of this part, but I can't figure out the top circle/arc. I get the construction line, that's helpful, but something's missing.

I've guessed dimensions this time just to have something to show you to help me explain I guess.

First of all, how to I start drawing this part? I tried to start with the circle hole, but then I felt like I was missing the distance you've used the construction line. And the same question pretty much comes up no matter what angle I come from.

I'm starting to feel stupid. Hopefully a good nights rest and almost a full day of inventor work tomorrow will help me complete this. 

Message 86 of 109
JDMather

When you assemble the part it will rotate about the hole.

That make the hole a logical datum at which to place the origin center point.

Make sure you have Tangent Constraints between lines and arcs.

Message 87 of 109
Anonymous

Thanks a lot!

It feels like I'm back on track now. I might've misunderstood something, but I've done some changed and I'm pretty happy with the part so far.

Only questions I have right now is how I know the top circle is 25mm, since I completely just guessed that. I think my chamfer and fillet is ok, and in my view the part looks alright, except for that guessed dimension, and that's never good.

Message 88 of 109
Anonymous

In Sketch1 for your Part2 Continued... change the dimension of that vertical line from 2 seperate dimensions (5mm and 7mm) to 12mm.  Also that line that I mentioned above is dimensioned is 2 different lines. It should be one. Other than that, it looks good to me.  Also I did not verify your dimensions based on your homework sheet...

Message 89 of 109
Anonymous

Thank you. Fixed those errors. I think I have all parts done now and I can move onto assembling the parts. I will experiment for a couple of hours myself while I wait for another reply in case I've missed something and I'm not ready to assemble. 

Message 90 of 109
Anonymous

One last thing to note... your chamfer on Part 2.  While you are still correct, you used the Distance and Angle Chamfer.  The default Chamfer tool (Distance only) assumes a 45 degree angle.  Only use the Distance and Angle Chamfer if the Chamfer is something other than 45 degrees.  By doing so, you eliminate the need to select an Edge AND a face. 

Sorry, just checked your latest part again.  The 35.946mm dimension while still is correct, I would dimension from the center of your hole to the point such that you get a nice even number.  In your case it would be 40 mm.

Message 91 of 109
Anonymous

Oh, I did not know that. Well, that's helpful, thanks for telling me.

Message 92 of 109
Anonymous

Not a problem.  You can verify this by using the Measure Tool and selecting Angle.  Then selecting the face of your chamfer and the adjoing face.  It should measure 45 degrees. 

Message 93 of 109
Anonymous

Alright, I've tried doing this, but I'm just trying everything until something looks like it works. 

Don't know if I've attached the correct file, but hopefully you can view my progress. I'm looking forward to the end result.

I have however noticed I have some sharp edges I should've used the chamfer feature on, but I'll look into that later.

Message 94 of 109
Anonymous

As JD would say.... You need to attach the Part files along with the Assembly file as the assembly file basically consists of how the parts were assembled together.  Once you have attached all the part files and the assembly file, everything should open up as expected...

Message 95 of 109
Anonymous

Alright.

Does this look ok?

Message 96 of 109
Anonymous

Yes the files were successfully opened. 
As for your assembly.  Try to keep the constraints as simple as possible.  For example, to constrain the Part 2 to Part 1, you only need an Insert Constraint between the holes of Part 1 and Part 2.  The Insert command essentially does 2 constraints in 1! If you were to use Mate, you would require to Mate the Axis' of the holes and then another Mate with a specified Offset distance.  I see there is a Tangent constraint for the Pin (Part 3).  An Insert Constraint would work for this one as well.... Once you have updated these changes and make further progress on your own, I will be happy to continue assisting you.  You are doing great thus far!

Message 97 of 109
Anonymous

Thank you! 

I'm not familiar with assembling, so I really appreciate this. 

I just restarted the whole assembly to make it easier to follow your instructions since I don't know how to edit it in the middle of assembling. 

Attaching the new file below so you can see how I've done so far.

Message 98 of 109
Anonymous

Also as a hint... parts can be patterned in an Assembly.  Investigate the Pattern Tool under the Assemble Tab.....

Message 99 of 109
JDMather

Delete the extra copies of Part 2,3, 4 and 9 from your assembly - you will not need extra copies.  You will do a pattern of Part 2 and it's fasteners.

See post #76.  76?  this might be the first thread to reach 100 that isn't a rant.

Message 100 of 109
JDMather

Right click on your Handle and unselect Grounded.

Right click on Part 1 and select Grounded.

Insert, Insert...

When you get to Part 9 Mate the axis and then ask questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report