Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed for advanced homework.

108 REPLIES 108
Message 1 of 109
GGOAA
4240 Views, 108 Replies

Help needed for advanced homework.

Hi.

I just got this paper handed out that's due this friday. I like to start early on these things, and although I feel like I don't have too much time for this particular assignment, I couldn't have started any sooner.

I'm not looking for someone to do this assigment for me, I'm just looking for some helpful tips, and a walkthrough would be perfect but I doubt anyone has got the time for that. 

The problem for me is that I haven't used inventor before. We started using it on school two weeks ago and I've done all the exercises, but this seems beyond me. Any help as to where I should start, how I should do it etc would be immencely appreciated.

Right now I've done part 6 just to get started, and I'm starting on part 6. I'm unsure as to where to begin..

Any help and discussion appreciated!

Edit: I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2013 professional.

Edit 2: If there's a problem with the language, I'll be happy to translate whatever you need to understand it instantly. I just figured the images and measurements should be enough, but I clearly understand if anyone has any questions about the other text. I'll obviously answer any other questions as well related to this.

Edit 3: Any feedback is appreciated. If there's something wrong about this post, the info I'm giving etc. 

108 REPLIES 108
Message 101 of 109
GGOAA
in reply to: JDMather

(hopefully 100 posts isn't just a bad thing even if it proves that I'm slow)

I can see how easy this is to do, however, I struggle with part 3 going through part 5 and 1. It seems to me as if I've done something wrong with the dimensions earlier, but I've double checked it now and I can't find the error.

Message 102 of 109
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: GGOAA

I found your problem....

Hint: Check Part 3 Extrusion 1....

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 103 of 109
GGOAA
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Of course. I have no idea how that's slipped my eyes twice! Such a careless mistake.

I've fixed that now. Take a look at my current assembly. I'm now wondering if I've done it correctly so far, and how I should move on to assembly part 5 to part 1 properly. 

Added the part 3 final file as it was wrong earlier. Something's wrong with my computer so I can't add it to the zip file yet. Got to re start my computer, but just wanted to get this out on the forum beforehand. 

Thanks for all help! I'm so close to finish this!

Message 104 of 109
JDMather

Mate the axis of 5 to the axis of 1.

Mate the axis of the handle to hole of 5.

Post back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 105 of 109
GGOAA

Back after a rather long restart. 

File attached.

Edit: I have another part 9 hanging around in the assembly file. I'll delete that. Never mind, opened the wrong file. As you were..

Message 106 of 109
GGOAA

Updated.

It looks done to me now. I'm not going to look over sharp edges that should be fixed while I wait for any of your approval. Then I'll get it ready just as if I were to deliver it (probably going to email it to my teacher). 

Message 107 of 109
GSE_Dan_A

Almost there...
Here are a few things to note when doing assemblies.... try turning on Degrees of Freedom (Under View --> Visibility).  This little trick will show you what parts can move and in what direction.  This gives you a good indication if you are missing any constraints.  Notice that the Handle has 2 Degrees of Freedom.  It can spin around the axis and it can slide in and out of the hole along the axis.  I am unfamiliar with this tool but I would suggest that the handle would be fixed as to not be able to move in either direction (Around the axis or along the axis).  Again this is just an assumption.
Also note the Keeper pin (part 9) can slide along the Axis.  This should be constrained to prohibit the keeper pin from sliding along the axis.  Hint: Turn on Origin Work Planes in your parts and use those to constrain parts where required. 
Upon deleting the Pattern, I noticed that your Hole in your Pin (Part 3) has went back to being unconstrained.  Once you fix that up, your hole in Part 4 should line up with the Hole in Part 3.  You will find it works when you attempt to mate both the Axis' together.  If you are not presented with any errors, you should be good. Then I would constrain the Keeper Pin (Part 9) properly.  Once you are satisfied with the constraints of those 3 parts, THEN I would Pattern them around your tool. 

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 108 of 109
GGOAA
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Alright, I will go through this, do my best and post my result.

Right now though I'll have to focus on other subjects as I've spent a lot of time on inventor lately. I'll work a bit on this here and there though, but I probably won't post my result before Wednesday/Thursday.

I'll just have to thank everyone for their help so far, I've learned so much about Inventor - far beyond what we should've learned so far. It's been amazing. 

Also, is there any chance of this thread disappearing? I want to save it so I can go through it a couple of times to get familiar with the techniques I've learned. 

Once again, thanks. I'll be back in a couple of days.

Message 109 of 109
GSE_Dan_A

Before you reply to a message, there is a Pull Down Menu on this Thread... look for Topic Options and then you can select Bookmark.  Typically threads do not get deleted unless they violate TOS.  You can actually navigate all the way back to the first posts when the forum was first created!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums