Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
nickv02
Message 1 of 4 (332 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help making sheet metal part

332 Views, 3 Replies
10-12-2012 12:57 PM

I have a 14 gage sheet metal part that follows the profile in the attached picture.  7/8" legs with a 1/16" offset.  Because it's 14 gage, the contour flange won't create it.  I need it to be able to be turned in to a flat pattern so that I may export it to a .dxf.  Is there another way to make this that will allow me to flat pattern it?  I have a couple of pieces like this where the offset is very slim, so I am looking for a way to do all of them like this.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 4 (312 Views)

Re: Help making sheet metal part

10-12-2012 01:22 PM in reply to: nickv02

That profile is just incorrect. Its not made like that in real life unless its a stamping operation which Inventor cannot properly define the flat pattern for.

How is this part fabricated?

Model the 2 faces then use "bend" to connect them if press braked.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 3 of 4 (311 Views)

10-12-2012 01:22 PM in reply to: nickv02

Hi nickv02,

Attached is an example that might give you a hint. I didn't see any information on what version of Inventor you're using, but hopefully you can open an Inventor 2010 file (that's the oldest version I have Installed these days.)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Valued Contributor
nickv02
Message 4 of 4 (296 Views)

10-12-2012 01:34 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Inventor 2013, forgot that.

It's a stamping procedure.  You're right, I was going about it the wrong way and drew it incorrectly.

Curtis, that example is excellent, thank you for your help!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.