Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help is greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
P8ball03
619 Views, 8 Replies

Help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

I am rather new to inventor but have done some part modeling and do fairly well with basic shaps and such.

I recently came accross an oppertunity to model something pretty complex and I am in a little over my head.  I could really use some help/coaching to guide me in the right path.  I am willing to put in the time to get this done, I am really just looking for someone to guide me in the right direction and make sure I dont go about this the wrong way.

Here is something that is similiar to the complexity im looking for http://store.macdev.net/product_p/clonegt.htm

Here is a file I have to work with that was originaly created in solidworks.  this is just the main body, no grip frame or barrel.  I have a file for the frame but I figured if I can nail the body I can then move on the the grip frame with no problem.

If i was just making it as small as possible I would have no problem trimming the fat but I am really looking to add some countoured lines similiar to ones in the link.  I have tried a few methods but I just know that I am going about it extremely inefficiently, and I keep running into problems.

Again I am not asking for anyone to do this for me, I am wanting to learn as much as possible.  Yes I could put in a lot more time into the forums but I have been watching tutorials for the past few days almost none stop and am running out of time.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I really do look forward to shoing the final product on here as well has learning and helping others.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: P8ball03

@P8ball03 wrote:

I have tried a few methods but I just know that I am going about it extremely inefficiently, and I keep running into problems.

Attach ipt files of what you have attempted so far.

I recommend you go through the tutorials linked in my signature.

Especially these two

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
P8ball03
in reply to: JDMather

Hey thanks for your quick response.  I replied to you in an email because your site said to email for the tutorial file.

But just in case you do not get it I will reply on here as well.

To fill you in,  I have not really attempted any real work because I have been spending so much time trying defferent ways to surface model and not really getting the results I want.

It looks to me like the second tutorial about surface modeling you sent me will hellp a lot but I am just curious how far can you take that, like adding countoured surface details at a smaller level like the link I sent.

here is a file that contains a fully cut down version, another question is should I build of something that is small and cut down or cut away at the body that has all the extra meat on it?

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@P8ball03 wrote:

... I am just curious how far can you take that, ...?

Car Seat.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

or this

Duck.png

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

or this

Loft and Fillet.png

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

or how about this?

dog.png

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

I have had a number of students to paint ball guns over the years but had to stop them from doing any type of weapons for class projects.

Principles are the same Drill.jpg

Message 9 of 9
P8ball03

Would it be possible for you to send me any of those files just so I can see how they are contructed?  I do get the concept after looking at the vacuum tutorial but I feel seeing something that complex will help as well.

Also do you know anything about exporting inventor to 3ds max for modeling?  Against it, for it?  Worth it?

again,

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report