Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help... In piping design... Tie In.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Ptkicker
1585 Views, 31 Replies

Help... In piping design... Tie In.

Hello Again..

Need some Help

My question is simple... i have a 16 inch pipe ... and i want to make 4 Tie-Ins in the 16 " Pipe.  Each Tie-In have the diameter of 8 Inch .

How can i make those Tie-Ins on the 16 inch pipe ? i want the 8 " pipe  welded to the 16 " pipe...   how i can " break the line "  of the 16 " pipe  when i am drawing in the pipe and tube envoirement , for make the tie-in ?? any ideias ???  i dont want to use a T conection .. because those pipes could already exist.

if you want..  i can put somenthing here for better explain...

Thx.... 🙂

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
cbenner
in reply to: Ptkicker

@Ptkicker wrote:

Hello Again..

Need some Help

My question is simple... i have a 16 inch pipe ... and i want to make 4 Tie-Ins in the 16 " Pipe.  Each Tie-In have the diameter of 8 Inch .

How can i make those Tie-Ins on the 16 inch pipe ? i want the 8 " pipe  welded to the 16 " pipe...   how i can " break the line "  of the 16 " pipe  when i am drawing in the pipe and tube envoirement , for make the tie-in ?? any ideias ???  i dont want to use a T conection .. because those pipes could already exist.

if you want..  i can put somenthing here for better explain...

Thx.... 🙂

A picture would help, because my best suggestion right now is to use a tee... and you say that won't work.  Not sure if you can get an 8" weldolet...  What is your piping spec; material, schedule etc?

Message 3 of 32
Ptkicker
in reply to: cbenner

ok ok .. i will put here my drawing for what i want to do... 

ok.. but with existing lines... not always we can put a T connection...  thats why i talk about a tie-in ... in this case  4 tie-ins ...  in this 16 inch pipe...  ( sorry i said before 18 inch...

Message 4 of 32
Ptkicker

ok ok .. i will put here my drawing for what i want to do...  maybe in more than on post

Message 5 of 32
Ptkicker

Or for a better  understanding of what i am saying... imagine a 8 inch line... and in that line you need to install a 3/4 inch line for purge ( or vent )  you cannot put a reduction T from 8 inch to 3/4 inch...... it dont exist... so... we need to install a Tie-in...  how to do that ???

Thx

Message 7 of 32
Ptkicker

excellent choice.. 🙂 

i did not try yet.. but and from a 8 inch pipe.. linke the example i gave.. to make a tie-in in a 16 inch pipe ?? can a weldolet do it ? 

Message 8 of 32
cbenner

@Ptkicker wrote:

excellent choice.. 🙂 

i did not try yet.. but and from a 8 inch pipe.. linke the example i gave.. to make a tie-in in a 16 inch pipe ?? can a weldolet do it ? 

That I do not know.  They are usually for smaller pipe connections, but they may go that large.  Google?

Message 9 of 32
Ptkicker

thx for the answer... but.. where i can find Weldolet in Inventor data base ??? can you help me ?

and can you tell the step how to put the weldolet in the pipe ??

Message 10 of 32
cbenner

If you have any defined in your Content Center they are under Tube & Pipe, Fittings, Branches.

If you need to author some of your own, that's a bit tricker... but start here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-6A4B753F-EB2A-47A6-A165-E3DF5920FF68

There used to be a more detailed Help document, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.  I'll keep looking.

Message 11 of 32
cbenner

Also found this, with some help.  At the bottom is information on parameters needed for creating and authoring one of these fittings.  If you need dimensions for this type of part, there are manymanufacturers of them.  One that I can remember is Bonney Forge, their website had some good dimensional drawings to start from.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-C62E977C-C460-4EAD-A3C9-C9A82E1D3B0B

Message 12 of 32
dgorsman

Weldolets can be quite large, NPS 24 is commonly available but not necessarily in stock.  I can pretty much guarantee any supplier will have up to NPS 10 weldolets available in common wall values.

If integrity is a critical issue, then a pulled tee may be a better option than an o-let (Taylor Forge is our go-to reference).

I think there may be some terminology issues at play here as well.  A "tie-in" doesn't connote any particular branch component.  For a branch it may be done with a split-tee hot tap, o-let, or stub-in.  It might even involve cutting out a section of the header and replacing it with flanges, a tee, or other components.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 32
cbenner
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

I think there may be some terminology issues at play here as well.  A "tie-in" doesn't connote any particular branch component.  For a branch it may be done with a split-tee hot tap, o-let, or stub-in.  It might even involve cutting out a section of the header and replacing it with flanges, a tee, or other components.

Good info!  I think the OP's solution depends a lot on what he is designing, what the fluid is, flow rates, pressures, temps etc. 

Message 14 of 32
Ptkicker
in reply to: dgorsman

thx... for the answer...

lets go by parts... 🙂

first... i found that inventor has weldolets...  just if we dont choose any specification no ansi.. no din.. nothing... in the icon with parts  .... we can easely find the weldolts there...   

but its funny that for 8 inch pipe or above.... doesnt have a weldolet for a 3/4 inch pipe...  the minimum that i found was a weldolet for a 1 inch pipe..

and  a small search int he web.. i found in the MCmaster-Carr website... that they have a lot of weldolets for all sizes... :)... take a look...  and i downloaded the weldolet that i need. its in a solidworks format.. but we can open nad change for inventor...  the only thing that i cannot do it... is to install that weldolet in the pipe... because i cannot " pick up " the part of the weldolet to put in the big pipe... can you try to do that ??

second thing... 

as dgorsman explain... sometimes is a question of some terminology.. and probably is my fault.. so. i apologize...

propably something like a split tee hot tap connection could eventually do it... ... but in this case... i want something like this... 

i put an attachment there..  and i try to put in blue color .. a steel reinforced plate around the big pipe that will receive the " smaller pipe "...

i hope you can understand it.

Thx. 🙂

Message 15 of 32
jddickson

Here is some good information on some branch connections for you.

http://www.bonneyforge.com/resources/BC.pdf

Not sure if it matters but it can depends what code you are following, different code state that you need to do certain thing in different situations.  For example you can design your pipe Per ASME B31.8 or ASME B31.4 and manufactured Per MSS-SP-75.

pic 2.jpg

I hope this helps

Message 16 of 32
jddickson

dgorsman wrote:

Weldolets can be quite large, NPS 24 is commonly available but not necessarily in stock.  I can pretty much guarantee any supplier will have up to NPS 10 weldolets available in common wall values.

If integrity is a critical issue, then a pulled tee may be a better option than an o-let (Taylor Forge is our go-to reference).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work for Taylor Forge and I would have to say dgorsman is correct. Without all the design conditions it’s hard to say what type of branch connection you need to use.

I’m really not sure what you are trying to do with the reinforced plate… 

Are you looking for a reinforcement welding saddle?

pic 5.jpg

If you want a pulled extrusion it would look something like this:

pic 3.jpg

I hope this helps.

Message 17 of 32
Ptkicker
in reply to: jddickson

Did you see my attachment ?? have there what i want ... 

Message 18 of 32
Ptkicker

i think is something like that... 🙂 how can i do something like that.. and install in the pipe run ?
Message 19 of 32
jddickson

First of all what software are you doing this in:

Invertor or AutoCAD Plant 3D?

I noticed your example was done in AutoCAD Plant 3D and I can show you how to do it in both but they are completely different ways of doing it. 

Are you using both?

Message 20 of 32
Ptkicker
in reply to: jddickson

Hi...

I am doing in Inventor... the example that i showed here... was only to show what  i wanted... 

for the Autocad i am using one line  Isometric drawing... so.. its different...  and i have other ways to represent it... same has you show in the draw that you put here... ..

my difficulty is for inventor.. specially for big lines...  if the project needs this kind of intervention....  because in my way of view... i could change the type of conection for a " T "  and.. problem solved...  but a T envolves a big space ( in case of big lines ) ... and if the pipe line already exists... and the space is not very big... or for reduciong costs... ( make your choice ) that branch connection ( or tie-in ) is a good option....

you know how to do it in inventor ? 

Thx...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report