Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying the Correct Value for Inertia

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
yorkhighschool
1583 Views, 13 Replies

Help Identifying the Correct Value for Inertia

Hello. My students are participating in a high school boat competition. The short of it is I need some help identifying some "Inertial" information from our Inventor program. We are specifically asked in the competition rules to find the value for the "Moment of Inertia about the X-axis" or Ix and also the "Moment of Inertia about the Y-axis" or Iy. 

I am not sure which is the correct value in Inventor and it is critical to our math calculations that we get it right. Attached are some screenshots I made of a sample "Barge" boat design. The barge part was is aligned so that the front bow of the boat rests on the origin and the length of the boat goes down the positive X axis. Height is on the positive Y axis. Width or Beam is symetric about the X axis. 

When I go to the IProperties and update the physical properties, I see some values for I1, I2, & I3 under Principal Inertia and Ixx & Iyy under Global & Center of Gravity. The units for all values are in lbsmass / in^2.  Which of these values are the Ix and Iy that we need for our math calculations? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

One more pic.

Message 3 of 14

Not sure what happened to my pics. Here they are again.

Message 4 of 14

Pic 3

Message 5 of 14

Last one.

Message 6 of 14

I think I need I1 & I2 from the "slide2" picture as I think they are the Ix & Iy I need. I was reading the help topic and it said the Principal Moment was rotated about the X, Y, & Z axes. Can anyone confirm?

Message 7 of 14
swalton
in reply to: yorkhighschool

Which Moment of Inertia are you looking for?

Area Moment of Inertia, used to calculate beam strength?  Or Mass Moment of Inertia, used to calculate rotational motion?

See http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/area-moment-inertia-d_1328.html  and http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/moment-inertia-torque-d_913.html

Inventor will calculate both, but the process is different for each property.

What you have found so far is the Mass Moment of Inertia.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 14
yorkhighschool
in reply to: swalton

Mass Moment of Inertia, used to calculate rotational motion....I'm pretty sure this is it. I'm still a little fuzzy about what the competition guidelines call for and have some calls and emails into our liason to verify which I need. But I do know it is rotated around the X and Y axes which lends me to believe it's the one for rotational motion.  

Message 9 of 14
yorkhighschool
in reply to: swalton

SWalton....I did confirm with the folks running the competition and I was wrong about my previous post. I am looking for the Area Moment of Inertia. Can you tell me how ot go about doing this in Inventor please? Thank you.
Message 10 of 14
karthur1

In the Inventor help, search for "Measure Region Properties" (I know, that makes alot of sense).

Kirk

Message 11 of 14
yorkhighschool
in reply to: karthur1

Major progress Karthur! Thank you! Please see attached.

One question / or problem remains though. Is there a way to calculate these values for an entire part or, in this case, the entire boat design? The procedure you gave me calculates these values for the individual sketches or plates of the hull of the boat. I would then have to add them all up to get overall values for the entire boat (not that that's impossible or we do not want to do it...I just want to make sure our final calculations are accurate). Your thoughts? 

Message 12 of 14
yorkhighschool

I figured it out guys. Well, at least I figured out a way to do it. I made a 3D sketch and associated intersection curve that represented the design waterline. I was hoping this 3D sketch would be recognized by the region properties but it was not. So I made a regular 2D sketch, projected the geometry of the 3D sketch, and drew lines outlining the border of the waterline plane / boat hull intersection. I was then able to run region properties and get the subsequent Ix & Iy values. Thank you Kirk and Swalton for your posts as they led me to the answer.

Cheers!

Message 13 of 14
karthur1

For most beam/deflection formulas to work correctly, they are under the assumption that the section has a continuious cross section. That means that the "I" value is the same from one end to the other.  If the inertia varies along the length I am not sure how to handle this.  I dont know if you need to give them the maximum or the minimum value.

If you just "add up the values" you have to make sure its about the correct axis.  To add them up, you have to use the "parallell axis therom" to get the correct value.

Kirk

Message 14 of 14
yorkhighschool

"To add them up, you have to use the "parallell axis therom" to get the correct value."

Excellent! That's exaclty what it says in the competition guidelines. Robot wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report