Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Frame Generator (Non-existing geometry)

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
grc
Explorer
5284 Views, 22 Replies

Help: Frame Generator (Non-existing geometry)

Hi,

I have a frame generator model that is referenced off projected lines from a solid part. The base part has changed and therefore a line has disappeared. I have rebuilt the line but cannot find a way to re-attach the member to that line to remove the error from that member which states: "The frame member contains a reference to non-exisitng geometry".

I thought I would have to use the change function to reselect a new line for the member to reference. I cannot find any buttons for this though.

Am I missing something obvious? Is the only way to remove this error to delete this member and re-insert it?

I am using Inventor 2008.

Thanks for any help,
Graeme
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: grc

Hi Graeme,
I believe you have to delete the member and re-insert it if its referenced
line is removed. currently we have no functionality to attach the frame to
a new line.

wrote in message news:5648675@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi,

I have a frame generator model that is referenced off projected lines from a
solid part. The base part has changed and therefore a line has disappeared.
I have rebuilt the line but cannot find a way to re-attach the member to
that line to remove the error from that member which states: "The frame
member contains a reference to non-exisitng geometry".

I thought I would have to use the change function to reselect a new line for
the member to reference. I cannot find any buttons f
or this though.

Am I missing something obvious? Is the only way to remove this error to
delete this member and re-insert it?

I am using Inventor 2008.

Thanks for any help,
Graeme
Message 3 of 23
grc
Explorer

Hi Nick, thanks for that. Is there any chance of it being added in the future?

Regards,
Graeme
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

Hi Graeme,
We already noticed this requirment. We will consider it in the furture
release.
thank you

Nick
Message 5 of 23
smjanows

I have the exact same issue I think.  I opened a frame assembly and all the frame members show the "i" icon with the comment "The Frame Member contains a reference to non-existing geometry."

I right clicked on every member individually, selected to edit with the frame generator, and did nothing but clicked okay.  The error then went away.  It needed to load the content center for the first "edit."  I have a feeling there is a problem with the content center not being loaded properly when first opening the assembly because since I last touched it nothing changed, and before there were no errors.

Message 6 of 23
cbenner
in reply to: smjanows

We have found that, especially with Frame Generator, cross part geometry references should be avoided at all costs.  It makes for more work up front, but saves you this particular error and a lot of rework later.

IMHO

Message 7 of 23
HarryP108
in reply to: cbenner

I realise this a slightly old topic, but I come across this from time to time. When you say "cross part geometry references should be avoided at all costs" what exctly do you mean by cross part geometry references?

Is trimming to face considered a cross part geometry reference? That is all I have done in my current frame, as all would do to clean it up, and I am getting the "i" icon next to a bunch of members.

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 8 of 23
juliaeturner
in reply to: smjanows

Very relieved to find this post. It worked for me!
Julia G
Message 9 of 23
cbenner
in reply to: juliaeturner

Message 10 of 23
jacoj

Hi all

I have exactly the same issue, we uses a wireframe to mange our frames as a controller?

please tell me what does "cross part geometry references should be avoided at all costs" mean.

how should I avoid this or constrain the frame members.

Message 11 of 23
cbenner
in reply to: jacoj

@jacoj wrote:

Hi all

I have exactly the same issue, we uses a wireframe to mange our frames as a controller?

please tell me what does "cross part geometry references should be avoided at all costs" mean.

how should I avoid this or constrain the frame members.

Hi,

When I posted that comment, I was referring to using existing geometry in an assembly as reference geometry for a new sketch... wether it be frame generator or something else.  I have never had good luck doing that.  If anything at all changes on the part the sketch references, you will get cross part geometry errors. 

For example, if you are in an assembly and you want to add a sketch to your frame, it is tempting to "include geometry" from other parts or subassemblies into that new frame sketch.  That creates a relationship between your sketch and whatever part or subassembly that "included" geometry belongs to.  Now what happens if that other part or sub moves or changes?  You get errors.

This is just my opinion and preference, so take it for what it is worth.  I prefer to avoid doing that, and use dimensions or constraints that do not rely on outside geometry to control my frame sketches.  For me, that's what has had the most stable results.

Good luck!

Message 12 of 23
jacoj

thank you

yes I use a wire frame purely and no references, just dimensions and constraints, work like a charm.

but get the infamous "I" error when replacing members form FG, but it seems like an Inventor issue.

kind regards

Message 13 of 23
CAG_DRAFT

My main workflow used to lean heavily on cross-part-references but with a bit of use of the Simplify/shrinkwrap tools I've managed to get to a point where there is usually no cross part references at all, this leads to much better performance in bigger assemblies and less headaches when modifying features. (simplify > shrinkwrap)

When making large changes to a frame sketch sometimes I'll delete all of the relevant constraints so that I can freely rearrange the member/lines without actually creating replacement lines for anything that can be reused. (the split tool can be handy for this aswell)

Message 14 of 23
cbenner
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT
Message 15 of 23
jacoj

yes for sure,

managing the wireframe and constraints is easy,

Autodesk need to look into when you decide to change a frame member with frame generator, then

all references and and constrainst dont always update, and loses ref with the infamous "I" Icon,

you can build or constrain as good as you like, it still brakes,

let one think if Inventor is rellay so "quick" on  changes.

reading the white papers Autodesk suggest to delete these error members and replace, but this opens up a new can of worms with vault, because now you have to go back and delete the old ones from vault, rebuild new members, and reconstrain parts and gusset fitting on the members.

come on Autodesk, give us the power ....

Message 16 of 23
egegunesoglu
in reply to: Anonymous

Has this problem been resolved in the 2020 inventor program?
Message 17 of 23
CGBenner
in reply to: egegunesoglu

@egegunesoglu 

Hello, may I ask exactly what issue you are referring to?  There were a lot of different user problems mentioned in this thread over the years.  Thanks!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 18 of 23
egegunesoglu
in reply to: CGBenner

I am sharing the member's question exactly because I am having the same problem.

"I have a frame generator model that is referenced off projected lines from a solid part. The base part has changed and therefore a line has disappeared. I have rebuilt the line but cannot find a way to re-attach the member to that line to remove the error from that member which states: "The frame member contains a reference to non-exisitng geometry".

I thought I would have to use the change function to reselect a new line for the member to reference. I cannot find any buttons for this though."
Message 19 of 23
johnsonshiue
in reply to: egegunesoglu

Hi! I believe this is kind of like a corruption. It should not happen in the first place. There isn't a "re-associate" workflow in Frame Gen. You will need to delete the member and recreate it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 23
cosmin.andronic88

Hi ! You have to change your skeleton to adaptive and the error will dissapear. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report