Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Drawing Threads 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
T_RIGBY94
955 Views, 4 Replies

HELP - Drawing Threads 2014

i cant seem to draw threads on 2014 edition of inventor, every time i do it, it shows the thread lines but it hasnt extruded, am i missing a step? how is it done?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: T_RIGBY94

I don't understand how threads could be formed by extruding?

How much training do you have with Inventor?

Are you aware that the Thread tool creates simplified cosmetic representation of threads - not true cut threads?

If you want true cut threads - you will have to cut them using the Coil command.  Just like out on the shop floor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
T_RIGBY94
in reply to: JDMather

my terminology isnt correct, let me rephase this attached is an image of the stage i am at. however this is still just a cyclinder not a threaded bolt? i know in 2013 inventor there was a tool called thread modeler which modeled the thread. i want it to get to this stage.

a before and after image is attached as an example of what i need, taken from a youtube tutorial

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

What is the specifications for your thread?

Did the Thread Modeler add-in create the correct threads for your design?

If so, you can still get it for 2015, but I will make a significant wager that it does not create threads to your intended specifications.

Did you examine the file I attached above?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Paul-Mason

Edited 26/01/15 @16.48 GMT 

In your attached files example jpg the thread is/was created using Inventor thread button in other word's it is a "Cosmetic thread"

PM screen shot007.png

The Thread Modeler add-in has several limitations, If your after a proper thread you'll be far better off actually modelling it your self by creating the tread profile etc.

The attached file, which is a square cut thread will give you some idea as how to proceed.

One slight problem with modelling the tread on's self is that you may get a self intersecting error this is due to the pitch which will/may need adjusting by one or two thousands of an inch/mm to get it to work. Another problem might arise when inserting the modeled thread into an assembly and aligning the treads of the parts to have them both look right and appear to engage correctly

So unless your going to 3D print a thread part just use the normal cosmetic thread instead of creating unnecessary work and headaches for your self.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report