Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help drawing a cutterhead for a dredge

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3068 Views, 8 Replies

Help drawing a cutterhead for a dredge

I am trying to draw this cutterhead.  The 3D sketch and helical curve commands have a allowed me to create part of the "arms" with the teeth on them but I can't seem to get them to come up and over the hub in the middle.  Only to the top of it.  Any tips?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Why did you use Driven rather than Driving dimensions in Sketch10?
I would have used the edge of a Coil surface body rather than the 3D sketch - much easier to control.

I would avoid adaptivity for this design.
Sketch12 is not constrained.

You might start with this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I suspect I would Thicken a trimmed helical surface.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Do you have a picture from side and top?  You have an assembly - do you have a 2D drawing from which it was made?

Dredge.png

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

Here is an alternate solution - more information would be needed to get precise representation.

Dredge rev1.png

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

Have you made an progress on this?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I had to move to something else but will be back on the cutterhead later this week.  Thanks for your input.  I will be keeping you involved with my progress.  And I'm sure I will have more questions for you.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Mr. Mather,

I realize it's been awhile since I submitted my original post about help with cutter head model.  Since then I have made progress in accomplishing a decent model, but I still think there is a better way to create my cutter head.  I'm attaching the file so that you may view it.  Any input or pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I am aware that I have a few sketches that are not constrained.  I am still getting acquainted with 3D sketches.  Thanks again for any info.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report