Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Create surface coil along curved path

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Justin_DeSilva
1533 Views, 2 Replies

Help - Create surface coil along curved path

I've read the posts pertaining to coil features along curved paths. The existing solutions are limited in that they must rely on a solid with the addition of a bend feature. How can I create a helical surface structure including multiple bends like the one shown?

Capture2.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
glenn-chun
in reply to: Justin_DeSilva

This can be easily done in ASM sweep.  Your case is similar to the rightmost model shown below.

sweep_twist.png

ASM (Autodesk Shape Manager) is the geometric modeling kernel for Inventor, AutoCAD, and many other Autodesk products.  Inventor has not consumed the twist option in the sweep feature, whereas AutoCAD has a twist option in its sweep command.  I created the four models in ASM environment, imported them into Inventor, and attached IPTs here for your reference.

Glenn

ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 3
MikahB
in reply to: glenn-chun

Great that the modeling kernel is capable of it, but it's more than a little disappointing to me - as an Inventor user - that the only available workflow to this geometry is to do it in AutoCAD and import to Inventor.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report