Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP converting surfaces to solid! I need to export to .STL

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
plasmaninjaa
830 Views, 8 Replies

HELP converting surfaces to solid! I need to export to .STL

hello,

I have this part: http://tinyurl.com/inventor-part12

However when I try to export to .STL it won't do it because it is only surfaces and not a solid.

I have searched everywhere on how to convert from surfaces to a solid but nothing I have tried has worked.

I would really appreciate it if someone could just convert the file for me.

Thank you times a million to whoever can help me with this problem! 

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
vanagonjon
in reply to: plasmaninjaa

This is something I have wreseled with in the past. I would love to find a better solution than my current method. I will import the solids file into autocad and explode the geometry to remove the solids info. I then save the geometry as a dwg but I belive you can export to stl. 

I admit this a klugy and sometimes unreliable way to go about the problem, but as I said I'd love to find a better one. I use this method when importing into sketchup BTW.

Message 3 of 9
plasmaninjaa
in reply to: vanagonjon

thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

email me at jameshutton@live.ca if you want. 

thanks

Message 4 of 9
vanagonjon

I just realized I read your question backwards, the method I described is to convert a solid to surface, going the other way is another story. Was autocad able to translate the file?

Message 5 of 9
plasmaninjaa
in reply to: vanagonjon

no I havent been able to no matter what I've tried. All I need is to export an STL file from the file I posted in the link

Message 6 of 9

You need to upload 'box simplified.ipt' as well otherwise the assembly (.iam) file you have already posted is of no use.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 9
plasmaninjaa

ok here is the IPT file 🙂

Message 8 of 9

Hi, you don't need to derive your assembly into another part (Part1.ipt) and upload. Part1.ipt file will look for the file it was derived from, in this case longboard embers box.iam which contains 'box simplified.ipt'. You need to upload 'box simplified.ipt' as this is the file you want converted into a solid.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 9 of 9
JDMather

Attached is a solid conversion of the only surface part you have attached here.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report