Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Assembly won't open - Unresolved link

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
killbox
1739 Views, 5 Replies

HELP! Assembly won't open - Unresolved link

I'm trying to open my CNC project and I have an assembly in it that will not open.  The file is in the correct location.  I tried to open the assembly directly and it will not open.  So I figure the file must be bad.  I tried the old versions folder and tried to restore it from there.  I had the option to open and not save and it opened.  Then I went back and tried the open and restore.  Again no luck.  

I had a part reference problem during my last session.  There was a step file assembly that I had imported into the assembly.  It was a rail with two bearings.  I copied the bearings and added them to the larger assembly.  Then went back to the original file and deleted the bearings.  I noticed that when I went to move the copied bearings I got and error.  I could not move them because there was no reference part.  I saved the part and figured I would go back and fix it later.  Now the part will not open.  I figure that's what caused the issue.

I have a backup copy of the entire project saved before the above errors.  It's on a different drive.  If I try to open it up I get the same unresolved link error.  On top of that, if I open the assembly it will open and the bearings are missing!  How is that possible?  The complete part with all files folders and assemblies are on a separate drive saved months ago and the error is the same.  I'm confused . . . any ideas??

- Allen

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: killbox

Are you using Projects (*.ipj) or are you using Vault?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
blair

Possibly your Projects file, is pointing to different directories and file paths would be the first item that I would look at.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
killbox
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using Projects
Message 5 of 6
killbox
in reply to: blair

How do I go about checking file paths to be sure it's pointing to the correct location on all files?
Message 6 of 6
blair

Either from the Start Menu: Start>Autodesk>Inventor>Tools>Project Editor or from within Inventor (need to have all files closed). You will need to make sure the Project you are using has it;s work directory point to the directory you are using for all your main files and any Library & CC directories are correct.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums