Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help an amateur with sculpting

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
matthewgreig
444 Views, 6 Replies

Help an amateur with sculpting

Hi,

I'm trying to smooth the edges of a couple extrusions I made - I have a 2D sketch of the shape I want, but don't understand the sculpt tool well enough to both trim the top edge and add the bottom portion of the curve I'm trying to make. Can anyone help? And please offer any suggestions on a better way to pull this off - it seems like what I'm trying to do is fairly simple (for someone who knows what they're doing) and there is likely a better way. Look to the bottom left for all my sketches. 

Thanks - if the drawing or my description isn't clear please ask questions.

Matthew

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: matthewgreig

Are you determined to use Sculpt (see attached)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
matthewgreig
in reply to: JDMather

Not determined at all, I'll use whatever works.

Thanks for the help - Could not open your file because I'm using an older version (Inventor 2013 Pro). Could you describe what tool or method you used? Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

I will try to post a 2013 version Monday if I remember.

It looked like to me you were doing your extrude - cut from the wrong face.

Doing it from the "side" was a simple solution for the problem.

Extrude Cut.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
matthewgreig

The reason I didn't go in from the side is I want to achieve the same arc on the back wall. I'd fillet each edge but don't want the wall to be at all vertical - rather, I want it follow the same arc as the extrusion from the side. 

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@matthewgreig wrote:

I want to achieve the same arc on the back wall.

What do you want at the intersection of the side and back walls?  Should it Sweep around an arc or have a mitered intersection?

Message 7 of 7
matthewgreig

Hi JD, did not realize until now you had replied. I'd like it to sweep around an arc the whole way around. I guess that's what tripped me up with the extrusion and knowing what tool to use - I couldn't figure out how to sketch something like that in 2D.

Thanks again for your help,

Matthew 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report