Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
elise_moss
Message 11 of 16 (297 Views)

Re: Help & Tutorials

07-14-2011 12:34 PM in reply to: mgookin

A lot of the rant is just the frustration of learning a new software.

I got decent step files out of Inventor all the time.  You do have to check the Options before you save to make sure it set to the correct units, etc.

elise

**Master
BMiller63
Message 12 of 16 (277 Views)

07-14-2011 02:29 PM in reply to: mgookin

mgookin wrote:
3D piece of brass sheet metal with one bend & two holes

Post a basic sketch and someone who is experienced with Inventor will provide you with an file example of your part. It should be quite simple.

Inventor is not AutoCAD (I use them both). If you take the time to learn the program it is a very powerful program and quite easy to use. Your rant speaks to your lack of understanding of parametric modelers and your attempt to use a parametric modeling program as if it were AutoCAD. You're not the first to get frustrated in your attempt to transition, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone so ****-sure that they were right and everyone else who uses the program to design are wrong.

btw, if you don't like the Ribbon you can turn it off in Inventor 2010.

I say keep on ranting, it's been an amusing thread so far!

timster1984
Message 13 of 16 (216 Views)

08-20-2011 12:51 PM in reply to: elise_moss

I have no problems learning a new software package but when I followthe first tutorials and the very first steps are not communicated properly......what is one going to do?  Call autodesk and say, "Hey, I couldtnt follow the very first step of your tutorials!"  I mean the very first step is not correct....the results on my screen do not even come close to what the tutorials have.  The videos on youtube were far better.  Who ever is writing their tutorials should run some use cases through their steps, because I can assure you, that I have and the results arent good.

timster1984
Message 14 of 16 (206 Views)

08-20-2011 06:41 PM in reply to: timster1984

Here is another example of confusing directions in the tutorials:

Click Model tab
Pattern panel Rectangular
. The Features selection arrow is selected. Pick the Hole. If you are viewing the hole in a plan view, it is difficult to select the hole on the part. Rotate the view slightly in 3D before selecting the hole on the part. You can also select the hole directly in the Model browser. ImportantDo NOT select the extruded body, or it will be patterned with the hole.

• Pick the Direction 1arrow, and then choose a horizontal edge to set the direction. The edge you choose determines the initial direction.

For example, if you choose the lower model or sketch edge, the horizontal pattern direction is to the left. If you choose the upper model or sketch edge, the horizontal pattern direction is to the right.

Use the Flip direction arrow to reverse the direction. Set the count to two, and then highlight the text in the dimension spacing field. With the text highlighted, select the horizontal sketch dimension to use the dimension value for the spacing. Pick the Direction 2 arrow, and then pick a vertical model or sketch edge. Set the count to two, and then highlight the text in the dimension field. Select the vertical reference dimension to use the dimension value.

Distinguished Contributor
cvbt-thailand
Message 15 of 16 (193 Views)

WikiHelp Tutorials

08-21-2011 04:08 AM in reply to: timster1984

If you can think of a way to improve a tutorial, please do so.  The WikiHelp allows us to edit the tutorials.  I believe we are also able to embed or link to videos from YouTube.  Here is a link to  IV2012 Tutorials.

I believe it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.  We stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.  Make a contribution - edit a WikiHelp today.

Geoffrey Wheeler
IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2; Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS MB Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Mentor
CAD-One
Message 16 of 16 (177 Views)

08-21-2011 10:11 AM in reply to: mgookin

I am just amazed by the great support the community is providing. I use the help of this community very often.

There are few other good resources on You Tube. Just search for Inventor tutorials or lessons there. You will find tons of basic lessons that will bring you up the speed.

C1
Inventor Professional 2015
Vault Professional 2015
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!