Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

helix cut out of sheet metal cylinder (not thread)

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
Anonymous
2313 Views, 37 Replies

helix cut out of sheet metal cylinder (not thread)

Hello, My first time posting but I have been on here many times trying to learn a bit more from you fellows. I'm currently using inventor 2013 I generally mange to do what I need after a bit of searching and trial and error but this little problem has me stumped and I know it should be easy.

Anyway I have a flat sheet metal part

sheet.png

This is flat steel 1 mm thick. I want to bend it in to a cylinder so that the cylinder will end up with it's top cut in a helix. 

I can make a solid cylinder with wall thickness 1 mm then use the coil feature and this looks like it does the job and cuts right through the cylinder wall but I can't then discard the top bit. Similarly I can make a cylinder then rip it and unfold it in to a flat pattern but I can't then edit it.  Any suggestions on how I can achieve this would be most helpfully.

Thank you

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You didn't include any dimensions in your figure or attach any trial attempt ipt files?

Is something like this what you are after?

Helix.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry I didn't think of giving dimentions as it the method I want to try and learn rather than actuall just get this one done... There wasn't any reasonable trila ones except for the flat plan above . I had loads of failed attempts but to be frank they would have confused the issue had I have posted them 🙂

Anyway without any further info you have got it in one . that is the exact thing I am trying to do....

Could you give me a few tips on how you did it please.

Thanks

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous

I had marked this as solution found but was worried it would then prevent any further posting on this thread. I will of course re do the solution found thing as it is the exact solution. I've just got to find out how you did it now...

Message 5 of 38
JDMather

I will not be at 2013 machine till tomorrow.

There are several ways.

Wrap to a surface, trim and thicken is one technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous

Thanks for helping out I have had a quick look at the areas you mentioned but it is still not clear to me. Sorry 

If you do manage to get near a 2013 machine (or older I guess) and manage to do a quick few point lesson I will be very happy indeed.

I intend to take this to a laser cutter near me so I do need to work from flat patterens or solids and turn them in to flat patterns...

Thanks

Message 7 of 38
JDMather

You will have to determin the k-factor for your material.

see attached example

(I should have written Split rather than Trim in my previous response.)

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous

Hello, yep that example looks great.

I was hoping to use the standard material of galvanised steel as that's what I'll be making the part out of, that sets things like K value doesn't it ?

I may be being a bit slow here but is there any way I can see how that example was made from the ipt ? I can see to component that have gone in to it and of course I can change the sketches and make whatever size bit I want, but I would really like to know how to do it....

Thanks....

Message 9 of 38
JDMather

Right click on the Flat Pattern and delete it.

Drag the red End of Folded marker to just below Sketch1 in the browser.

Start  a new part file and recreate Sketch1 from scratch.

Post back for the next step when this is done.

Message 10 of 38
Anonymous

do you mean just a line 25mm tall ? or include the other things in it like a revolution .
Message 11 of 38
Anonymous

What I mean by the above is that when I move the stop mark up (handy thing I didn't know) it hasn't only got the sketch 1 showing in the menu it also has a surface body folder but everything in it is greyed out so I'm guessing ignore that at this point...
Message 12 of 38
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
do you mean just a line 25mm tall ? or include the other things in it like a revolution .

Sketch1 and only Sketch1 (4 lines, 2 dimensions).  (the 4 lines created with the Rectangle command)

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous

ok done that.
Message 14 of 38
JDMather

Drag the red EOF marker down one step to below Work Plane1.

In your new file create a workplane perpendicular to the XY plane by selecting the XY plane and the vertical object line from Sketch1.

Message 15 of 38
JDMather

In my example drag the red EOF marker to below Sketch2.

In your new file

Start a new sketch on this new plane and Project Geometry the vertical object line from Sketch1 then change it to construction.

Add the other three lines and dimension.

For the horizontal line enter the dimension by clicking on the Diametral dimension in Sketch1 and *PI.

Circumference.png

This makes the baseline of Sketch2 equal to the circumference of the circle.

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous

ok
Message 17 of 38
JDMather

In your part drag the red EOF back above Sketch2 and Workplane1 so that only Sketch1 is visible.

Revolve a Surface Body 359.99°.

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous

Opps I haven't got a diametric dimension I've only got the height and length of the rectangle ie 25mm and 50 mm. where does the 100 diameter come from ?
Message 19 of 38
JDMather

In your file

drag the red EOF to below Sketch2.

Start a new 3D sketch and select Project to Surface.

Select the surface as the Face and the angled line from Sketch2 as the Curve.

Set the Output to Wrap to surface.

Wrap.png

Message 20 of 38
JDMather

When you select a sketch centerline type (not the endpoint of the centerline) and then anywhere on the construction line you will get a diametral dimension.

Do you know how to change the linetypes to construction and centerline?

If at any time your sketch does not look EXACTLY like mine saying OK is not the correct response.

Post file and ask questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report