Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble importing from Autocad

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
se3
Participant
363 Views, 6 Replies

Having trouble importing from Autocad

I am trying to import a autocad 2013 block into inventor 2013. Everytime i do it the file gets smaller. The file has a logo of a company that i need to remain a certain size. Any ideas on how to fix m problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: se3

The file gets smaller?  Or the geometry gets smaller?

Type -dwgunits (with the minus symbol) in AutoCAD.

What does it return as the units?

What units do you want it in Inventor?

In any case, I recommend that you convert it to an Inventor Sketch Block and then you can safely scale it to any size you need.  If bringing into drawing rather than model - conver it to an Inventor Sketched Symbol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
se3
Participant
in reply to: JDMather

The geometry gets smaller. I have it scaled in Autocad to the correct size and when I import it into Inventor it is a smaller size.  Sorry if I ask what may be a very simple question for some but I am new when it comes to Inventor.

When I typed (-dwgunits) I received several questions.

Drawing UNits - Inches

Drawing Display - Deciamal

Linear Display Precsion - 4

Scale Objects from other drawings upon insert - Yes

Match INSUNITS to drawing units - Yes

What do you mean when you say Inventor Sketch Block? Is that where you click open select the Autocad file; Click options; instead of open select import?  If so upon doing this the files geometry still got smaller.

When I recieved the file I made the Logo into a Autocad Block because I was scaling the X and Y axis differently. I was making the Y axis a bigger scale to reach the size I need.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

You indicate that -dwgunits returns

1 as current value which is inches, correct?

What units is your Inventor file?

Can you attach the dwg and the ipt files here?

If not, can you make up a sample dwg and ipt that exhibits the same behavior and attach it here?

While in an active Inventor sketch (your imported dwg 2d geometry - you should see a tool to the right of the middle of the ribbon that says Make Block.

All of this would be a lot easier to cover if you attach sample files here.

I haven't tried to make up an experimental dataset myself, but one thing I think you might need to do is explode the AutoCAD block after doing the non-uniform scale.  I seem to recall a previous question here about non-uniform scaled blocks not coming in correctly.  A search might turn up the thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
se3
Participant

I tried to send you the files to see if you could figure it out but when i tried loading the autocad dwg. It would load into the email it kept saying it was corrupt. So that maybe the problem I am not sure. But thanks for the help. I will try to resolve the problem and post the files
Message 6 of 7
JDMather

You must reply to this thread using the web interface, not by email.

Message 7 of 7
se3
Participant

Thats what I meant I didnt really mean email. Every time I went to attach the file it would say the file was corrupt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report