Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble figuring out components and assembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Seufee
342 Views, 3 Replies

Having trouble figuring out components and assembly

I have just started teaching myself AutoCAD 3D modelling the last few days. I have experience with 2D drafting at work, and would like to start learning 3D for fun and to start making 3D models at my company. I am having trouble with assembling. I have created two objects in AutoCAD 2012, these objects are a mounting bracket and a bolt. I would like to assemble them in fusion but I can't find much on how to do this. I tried "insert component" but when i try inserting my bolt which I made in AutoCAD, it will not show up anywhere in my folder. I then tried opening the bolt in fusion and doing a "Save As" but I can not change the file type to .ipt which is what I believe I need. Anyone have suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Seufee

Inventor is not AutoCAD

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/bd-p/529

Inventor is not Inventor Fusion

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Fusion/bd-p/370

Which one of these 3 programs do you really want to use?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Seufee
in reply to: JDMather

I have been using AutoCAD 2012 to do my 3D drawings. I do not know how to assemble objects together so it was my understanding that I had to use Inventor Fusion which came with my AutoCAD to do assembling and such. As I said I am new to 3D drafting and am self-taught thus far so I am not sure what the best way to do that would be.

Message 4 of 4
tsreagan
in reply to: Seufee

Starting out as a new modeler, you want to learn the right tool from the start.

Inventor is what you want to work with.

Download Inventor 2014 and go through the first 7 or 8 tutorials.  you will be modeling and assembling in just a few days time. And you will be amazed with what you can do.

After 20 years of 3d modeling the only thing that has stayed consistent is that I have a mouse, keyboard, screen, and an x,y,z coordinat system.  You are blessed to be starting out in the golden age of Inventor.

T.S.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report