Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have some fun with it

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
LonesomeJoe
1211 Views, 20 Replies

Have some fun with it

We just changed to Iv R2011, and there's a new irritation in it... I've been told there's no way to turn it off, so I thought I'd have some fun with it (see attached). 

... waaaaay back in the day... (for us older folks, "once upon a time..."), a company called AutoDesk made a product called AutoCAD.  They sold this to a person named User.  The product worked well, though it did not DO a whole lot.  The company improved it over time, and both AutoDesk and User were happy.  Then, one day, an evil troll named Microsoft changed the ground upon which AutoCAD stood!  The change was monumental, and all involved agreed that Microsoft must be a genius.  One of the teeeeny, tiiiny changes was an extra "mousie-click" needed to do things that only one "mousie-click" had done before.... "AHA" thought AutoDesk (and its progeny, SolidWorks, et al...), we have discovered the secret of the troll's genuis... it's "mousie-clicks".  Every new release added "mousie-clicks" to every operation, until it took TEN "mousie-clicks" to so what one had done before.  And THAT is the reason in Inventor, AutoCAD, and ALLLL the others, it takes an extra "mousie-click" to say "I'm done"... and an extra to say "Yes, I'm really done"... and ONE MORE to say "YES, DARNIT, I'M REALLY DONE!!!"... ) ... aaaandd, NEW in R2011,  you must click the green check-mark!!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

Well you are in luck kind of.. In 2011 that can be turned off just can't remember how.. But you do have a way..

Message 3 of 21
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks... but where's the fun in that?  If you happen to remember how to turn it off, let me know, otherwise, it's really not a big deal -- I just seem to make a big deal out of some things....  I used ACAD R12 on DOS until 2000, when we got "Y2K-ed" and had to go to Windows.  With DOS, a right-click cancelled the command... with Windows, it gave a drop-down menu, and you had to select the cancel command... I STILL want all those extra mousie-clicks back!!

Message 4 of 21
trumpy81

Options/Sketch uncheck 'Enable Heads-Up Display (HUD)'

HTH

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 21
SBix26

The usability and efficiency of a user interface is more complicated than just counting mouse clicks.  How far you have to move the mouse and how precisely you have to position it also have a big effect. 

In the image you attached, where's the inefficiency?  You enter the number you want (or drag the arrow if that gives the results you need) and hit enter or click the check box, all in the immediate area where you are working.  Very little mouse movement involved.

Not in any way saying that the user interface is perfect, but the example you showed is one of the good things about the recent interface changes.

Message 6 of 21
japike
in reply to: SBix26

While I agree wholeheartedly with Sam and generally don't appreceiate rants, I enjoyed your story - it made me smile this Monday morning.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 7 of 21
LonesomeJoe

Sam;

The inefficiency comes from the change.  Before, I could just hit the "Enter" key, which even 2 months after the change, I still do out of habit.  Now, I have to grab the mouse and hunt down the green check mark.  I've selected the "New Work Plane" icon (mousie), clicked on the surface to define the new work plane (mousie), then entered the value of the offset (keyboard), then hit "Enter (keyboard).  With the new version, I have to use the mousie for the last step.  No, it's NOT more keystrokes, just different ones... If there's a real problem, as opposed to a phantom problem, it's with me.  But, I do need to ask, where is the net GAIN in the change? 

Message 8 of 21
SBix26

Still works pretty much the same way.  Type the value, hit Enter, then hit Enter again.  The first one nails down the value you typed in, the second one executes the command.

Message 9 of 21
LonesomeJoe

hmmm....  that's correct... I've still got Iv R2010 on my machine at home, and if I remember to check (which is unlikely, as it requires me to remember) I'll look, but I believe we've picked up an extra "enter" keystroke.....  One thing I disagree vehemently with you on is the idea of an interface change.  To me, there is NO "good" interface change.  If the user interface changes, the change should ADD some value, or it's better left alone.  This would seem to be a good example -- we've added a keystroke, but the result is the same.  Why add the keystroke?  Interestingly, if I decide in the middle of the command that I don't want to make the work plane, I hit "Esc".... yup... TWICE, now.

At my worklace, most of what we do is fairly simple, as the industry is flat plate, angle, and channel steel.  We're also asked to work extremely fast.  Every time we change releases, it seems AutoDesk has to scramble the user interface, and that only slows us down.  I guess no one else feels that way, but to me it's what I call the "regretting having changed releases" phase....

I think what scares me the most is that AutoDesk has used a green and a red check mark, kinda like SolidWorks.  Frightens me, as I wonder if AutoDesk is trying to be LIKE SolidWorks, which would be very, very bad. 

Message 10 of 21
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: trumpy81

I went to "Options/Sketch" and unchecked "Enable Heads-Up Display (HUD)"... unfortunately, it's still on.

Message 11 of 21
Doug_DuPont

All that does is when you are in a sketch you will not be able to type in your values as you sketch. It does not turn off the mini menu. I don't think there is a way to turn off that. I've tried.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 12 of 21
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Sooooo... I'm not the only one who's unimpressed with this new feature?

Message 13 of 21
bobbi-mcam
Message 14 of 21
trumpy81
in reply to: bobbi-mcam

@bobbi-mcam wrote:

Let me google that for you Smiley Wink

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13187753&linkID=9242018

That option doesn't exist in 2012 or 2013. In 2012 there is a registry key that can be modified to turn off the ribbon, but that doesn't work in 2013, besides, I don't think turning off the ribbon, as your link suggests, is relevant to this problem.

@ Lonesome Joe, My apologies, I didn't realise what mode you were in.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 15 of 21
jletcher

Has anyone even read the post he is in 2011 and there is a way to shut it off in 2011 I just don't remember how.....

Message 16 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: bobbi-mcam

I do believe boobi-mcam is correct by going back to classic in 2011 will remove it..

Message 17 of 21
bobbi-mcam

@trumpy81 wrote:

@bobbi-mcam wrote:

Let me google that for you Smiley Wink

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13187753&linkID=9242018

That option doesn't exist in 2012 or 2013. In 2012 there is a registry key that can be modified to turn off the ribbon, but that doesn't work in 2013, besides, I don't think turning off the ribbon, as your link suggests, is relevant to this problem.

@ Lonesome Joe, My apologies, I didn't realise what mode you were in.

Good thing he is using 2011 then isn't it?

Message 18 of 21
Rich.O.3d

I hate the green tick too.

Its not so much an extra work issue.

Its just my sub-conscious brain is programed to follow a basic drafting routine, whlilst my attention is focused on the engineering design. Now, when I finish the routine, my mouse hand (controled by the subconcious brain flies off to start the next inane task and....huh...wtf...ohhh...thats right...now i have to go back and do this extra step of clicking on this tiny little green arrow for no apparent reason.

Im sure ill get used to it eventually and will not have a problem, but in the meantime every year my brain has to adjust to whole new way of doing inane tasks.

I would rather learn more engineering every year rather than have to dedicate a whole heap of brain power and effort to relearn how to do basic tasks.

Im all for change for the better...its the pointless additions that irk me.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 19 of 21
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

richos69, thanx, you phrased that perfectly.  I have that same sub-concious operating style.  I'm constantly accessing commands using "last years" format, then three keystrokes later I realize I've missed something.  As with you, I don't mind the changes that add value, even if we don't use them... it's the "change for the sake of change" that makes every software release feel like we're shooting ourselves in the foot.  This particular feature just SCREAMS "change for the sake of...."  I'll stick with the ribbon, as I've gotten used to it, and if I can't turn off the new feature, I'll just have to get used to it.

Message 20 of 21
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

The root of the problem seems to be the need to put out a new release every year... nothing wrong with that, except AutoDesk seems to feel no one will buy it unless it looks "all-new", and given that purchase decisions are almost universally made by purchasers, rather than by users, they may well be right... and AutoDesk ends up having marketers making decisions about what to develop in the software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report