Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have mercy!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
waveleaper
374 Views, 4 Replies

Have mercy!

Okay: I've been playing with Inventor for about 20 hours and am impressed, but a little overwhelmed. Here is what I'm trying to do: I've extruded two concentric circles into a "tube," now I want to put 8 holes through the halfway point of that tube equally spaced at 45 degrees from each other. I extruded the ring along the z-axis... Can anyone drop the explanation for how to do this down to a super- simple level for me? I'll need to thread the inside of that tube after, but I've got to get through placing these holes first...Any help would be most appreciated, and I know there has to be a faq for this but there is just too much for me to find it... Newbie...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: waveleaper

place a x-section plane (through the tube) where you want the holes to be, draw some lines to where you want the hole centers to be on the tube.

create new planes at tangent of surface at the points defined by the lines you just made.

then project the points into new sketches and then make some holes.

there must be many different ways to do this but my workflow is usually something like that.

Message 3 of 5
rhasell
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Hi

Post your attempt here, and we can help a bit eaisier.

Are the holes in on the same axis?

Create a Sketch on an mid - Origin plane

extrude Cut through all in one direction.

Create circular pattern, pattern the extrude cut by 8 @ 360deg.

tube2.JPG

tube5.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 4 of 5
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: rhasell

Patterning, such a handy tool... And a nice simple approach to creating the hole feature aswell.

Heres a shot showing how I setup the part to drive the feature from the outer surface of the tube as opposed to a midplane through it. Specific job requirements will dictate if its worth setting it up like this or if a quick an easy solution like the above posters is suitable.

HOLE_DEMO.jpg

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: waveleaper

Welcome to the forum.

I would agree with most of what has been said.  Images/files arebest to capture the intent of what you are trying to do.

The other thing I would suggest is instead of your subject being "Have mercy", it is best to place a more descriptive title.  This way other users in the future having similar issues can find their solution easier.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report