Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HATCH Question

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jbelle7435
976 Views, 4 Replies

HATCH Question

When I am in my drawing is it possible to hatch/fill for example:

holes on my part in sketch mode without sketching a hole the same size by cheating/work around?

Inventor 2012
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: jbelle7435

Yes you can. 

1. By clicking in the view that you wish to Hatch/Fill

2. Select the 'Create Sketch' icon.

3. Select the 'Project Geometry' icon.  This allows you to project lines from your model which will then allow you to use your model as a reference for sketches, hatching, filling, etc... 

4.  Highlight the lines or holes in your case that you wish to hatch fill.

5.  Select the 'Fill/Hatch Region' icon and away you go!

The most important step in this is the Clicking in the View BEFORE you select 'Create Sketch'.  Without that step, the 'Project Geometry' button will be greyed out and unavailable.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 5
jbelle7435
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

1. You were right about the most important step!\

2. What I was trying to do is hatch a hole like a origin point you see for a hole table because thats how some are holes need to be represented.

2a. Draw a hole of any size near the hole I want to hatch

2b. Project geometry that hole I need to work in

2c. "= Constraint" the new hole with the existing

2d. Draw in the 2 lines that separate the hatching from the upper rigth quadrant and lower left qudrant

2e. Add in the fill hatch to both quadrants specified

2f. Select the entire hole and "Coincident Constraint" New hole with existing Project geometry hole" and I got it!

otherwise the hatching with the project geometry hole was not doing good for me with the separate quadrants but would select too much.

Final When I move my model around the hatching moves with it perfectly.

Inventor 2012
Message 4 of 5
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: jbelle7435

My mistake.  What if you were to create your hole symbol as an Inventor symbol?  You can select where the insertion point would be located (ideally in the center of your symbol).  When you want to use your symbol, you simply select it from your library and insert it in the middle of the hole. The downside to this method is you may have to scale your symbol up or down based on the viewport size used in your drawing.  In time, you could have a collection of these symbols based on various viewport scalings (Hole Symbol 1:2, Hole Symbol 1:4, Hole Symbol 1:1, etc...)

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 5
jbelle7435
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

might not always be the same size so just making sure its perfect for a few small steps is fine and then I can move the model and the sketched hatching moves with it is perfect

Inventor 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report