Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harness RefDes Data Importing/Exporting

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pranav.wargrider
1123 Views, 4 Replies

Harness RefDes Data Importing/Exporting

Hello everyone, I am new to the community and Inventor, however I am finding it to be an awsome program and its become more of a daily routine to create and assemble parts for me at this point. Currently, I am working on a power distribution board assembly, the parts are all in place, I currently have 8 pairs large terminals, and 12 pairs of small terminals, the large ones hold up to 14 gauge wires, small ones approximately 22. The issue however is that I am trying to allow for interoperability between Inventor and ACad Electrical, but for this I need each pair of terminals to have a unique RefDes. I quickly learned that this can only be accomplished in the Cable and Harness Environment. In my Board assembly, I assigned each pair a unique RefDes and it all works fine and dandy, however my assembly is not the final, it is just a subassembly  that is part of a much larger assembly. In the main assembly, the RefDes data for each terminal (under Harness Properties) is not there, but I figured exporting it from the subassembly to the main assembly would work. It sort of did, but under the Electrical Parts of the imported harness data dialogue, there are warning symbols next to all the RefDes' I made. They say: "The imported electrical part RefDes was not found among the electrical parts with an assigned RefDes." It allows me to assign the ref des by clicking each part, however I dont want my users to do that, I want them to be able to simply import the data, and assign the RefDes to the Power Distribution Board within their assemblies. There will only be one instance of the board per assembly (garaunteed), therefore I am kind of lost on how to do this. I know this is a really long and dragged out description, here is a quick recap:

I need to be able to import RefDes data to specifically named parts from one assembly to the next.

If you guys need my assembly, I am a bit reluctant to put it up considering its more for private use, however if it is absolutely necessary to fix the issue and teach me how to do it, I will post it up. Thank you!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

*BUMP* Is this impossible?

Message 3 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: pranav.wargrider

The question is a blur to me.

Can you post a  simplified dataset or use screenshots or videos or diagrams to explain what your assembly and refdes structure needs to look like?

Use whatever tool you see fit  to clarify what you are after and we will try to help you.

Thanks

bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 5
pranav.wargrider
in reply to: bobvdd

Hey there bob, thanks for the reply, attached with this post is a drawing i made in inventor pointing the REFDES for each hole in my board, the naming convention being <S or L><ID><P or N>, examples like L1N, S12P etc. In any case, I assigned these RefDes's within the Harness of the Assembly of the board. I export the Harness DATA to a .xml (refer to Problem1 picture), then I create a New assembly, and place my board assembly (with harness data) inside the new assembly. THe issue is that the RefDes data is not imported with the Board assembly, therefore I try and import the .xml file I exported before in order to import the RefDes. The electrical part dialog says that it cannot assign the RefDes, (refer to Problem2 picture). So essentially, my question is that when you assign RefDes data within an assembly file, and import said assembly file into a new assembly, can RefDes data be imported as well?

Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: pranav.wargrider

I might be wrong but this looks as designed to me. We anxiously try to keep the refdes UNIQUE.

When you insert a C&H assembly in a new assembly your are creating an OCCURENCE of the C&H assembly.

And as you can see from below image when assigning a refdes in a part, we explicitly ask users to MANUALLY assign a different refdes for every occurence of an eletrical part:

refdes.JPG

Your best bet to workaround this is to work on a COPY of the assembly rather than using an INSERT (place component).

You can create copies in Inventor by using iLogic Design Copy (in an empty session), Design Assistant or Pack & Go.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report