Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harness and Cable Pins Applied to a Library Item

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TheNeek
608 Views, 5 Replies

Harness and Cable Pins Applied to a Library Item

Hello All,
I'm a relatively new IV user. I'm on a Pro 2010 seat. I've walked into a rather large part library of connectors for use in our designs. I've started trying to take advantage of the Cable and Harnessing capabilities for routing inside our enclousures. The snag happens when I attempt to add pins to a library connector that I've placed in my assembly as the tutorial suggests. The Place Pin command in the Harness panel is greyed out when I double click the part to edit it.

What do I need to do to be able to place connectors from the library and be able to create harnesses in the same fashion as the tutorial depicts? Thank You.

Nic Foster
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TheNeek

The pins need to be placed on the original part BEFORE they are
authored into the CC Library and a Connector.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 3 of 6
TheNeek

Do I need to define the outward direction of the connector before inserting it into the library as well? I had created a new version of the connector in question and did exactly as you were suggesting. The pins went on and were present when I placed the part in my assembly but I was unable to define the outward direction of the connector when doing the Connector Authoring operation. The routing of the finished harness was skewed because the outward direction wasn't defined.

Nic
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Can you post the original connector before authoring? If privacy is an
issue, you can send it directly to me at djeffrey@teknigroup.com. I can
probably help you.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 5 of 6
TheNeek

Thanks for the offer Dennis. I answered my own question. Looks like all the harness attributes for the connector need to be defined before being saved into the library. Outward direction included. Discrete wiring to a PCB or any item that is not contained in a library can be done on the fly as the tutorial suggests.

Thanks for the help
Nic
Message 6 of 6

I've the same problem, can you tell me the solution, plz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report