Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware and Inventor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cadman777
281 Views, 3 Replies

hardware and Inventor

Recently I made a post that received a lot of very good advice. I'm glad and thank all who contributed.

However, I still didn't get my questions answered. Maybe someone knows the answers to these questions about hardware and Inventor?

I want to see the complete list of Inventor processes and operations/functions and what hardware and other resources they use. I also want to know how they prioritize and interact when more than one function/service/process is running simultaneously.

My objective is to see what processes/services/functions I'll be using most, and how they will interact with the hardware, so I can design a computer system to suit my needs.

Thanks ....

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Wow, that's really digging down to the nitty gritties of it all.

And to think I simply just went with the fastest processor at the time, the most RAM I could afford and the most memory on an NVidia card that I could afford. Never had much of an issue, even had one system that worked fine for a whopping 10 yrs on Windows 2000 with an Elsa Gloria III graphics card until I decided to go 64-bit.

As a matter of fact I'm actually looking currently to build/buy a new system that can handle larger assemblies.

I'm just looking at 16gig of RAM and at least a 2 gig Nvidia card, maybe 2 for dual monitors.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 4
cadman777
in reply to: cadman777

Blair pretty much gave us the standard today:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Large-Assembly-recommendations-for-Workstations/td-p...

But, I want to attempt to "engineer" it.

Maybe it's over-kill, but I MAY find a substantial boost when doing those dreadful large assemblies.

Currently I have an assembly that is about 1000 parts, and it's killing my "ancient" T7400 (m/b going bad, XP64=32bit archetecture).

I sure wish Adsk would release all this vital info for us to use in building our systems.

They have nothing to fear, as their main competitors are well-established in their software, and I serously doubt they will release any "intel" that would hurt them.

Moreover, the "var's" are WORTHLESS for such information, including their Autodesk "technical experts" from "headquarters".

I didn't figure I'd get any 'bytes' on this one, but gave it a try anyways.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 4 of 4

Chris,

I can fully understand your need/want to build the system you have to. But I think ADesk is only going to release recommandations of hardware for whatever reasons...could be concern of competition, could be avoiding conflict of interest, etc.

As we all know they do list the minimum requirements for hardware based on what you build...aka number of parts in assemblies. So I would think by using those specs as a starting point to build from, you're golden. I think it's also more along the lines of protecting themselves on a legal basis by only pointing out the min requirements???

Your guess is as good as mine. On a VAR or reseller note, I've always had great service even when it comes to hardware specs. I've often asked for their input prior to building or buying a system and they have always given me their two cents worth. Granted, it's simply their opinion and that's how you have to take it. I don't think they can legally state what system to buy, etc. In other words if they stated "buy an Nvidia card", then you can see that those at ATI might have an issue with that and vice versa. Personally, I've always have great luck with Nvidia cards and complete nightmares when using ATI cards, so my opinion is to go with Nvidia, you on the other hand may have experienced the complete opposite. You see where I'm heading. I think thats got a lot to do with ADesk not posting the deep down specs that you're looking for, but I could be wrong.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report