Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

half quantities for BOMs

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
905 Views, 3 Replies

half quantities for BOMs

I have a purchase component set that includes 2 identical pcs. i.e. part number xxx01(.iam) consists of part01(.ipt) and part01(.ipt). Typically I would place xxx01(.iam) into an upper level assembly, and get a BOM count of xxx01 QTY = 1. This works fine.

Now I have a similar component xxx02(.iam) that includes part02(.ipt) and part02(.ipt). With this component I use only half of the purchase component set in many instances. Therefore I would like to have the ability to place part02(.ipt) as a single part and have a BOM count of xxx02 QTY = 0.5.

The best solutions I have found is either to place xxx02(.iam) and manually override the BOM count to 0.5, which is error prone, and inevitably causes an issue each time.

Or I can set the Part Number of part02(.ipt) to be xxx02, and create a User Parameter in part02(.ipt) called BOM_QTY and set it to 0.5 ul and then set the Unit Quantity (using the BOM tab of the part file's Documents Settings) to use the User Parameter. The result of this is a BOM count of xxx02 QTY = 0.5ul.

This method displays ul in the Parts List, which of course is an issue as well.

Has anyone found a more elegant solution to half quantities? I searched the forum, but came up empty, thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

okay, so about as soon as I posted this it occurred to me how to do this:
Set the Part Number of part02(.ipt) to be xxx02,
Create a User Parameter in part02(.ipt) called BOM_QTY and set it to 0.5 in (even though it is really unitless)
Then set the Unit Quantity (using the BOM tab of the part file's Documents Settings) to use the User Parameter.
The result of this is a BOM count of xxx02 QTY = 0.500 in

Then modify the Parts List style in the drawing environment, formatting the QTY column in the style, and using the "Apply Units Formatting" option.
In the "Apply Units Formatting" options uncheck the box to use the Unit String, and toggle the option to display trailing zeros off.
The result of this is a BOM count of xxx02 QTY = 0.5

I had originally tried this same workflow but had set the User Parameter type to ul rather than in, which is logical, but results in an "incompatible units type" error in the Parts List Style downstream.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else someday.
Message 3 of 4
delineryan

I can't seem to get this to work on an iAssembly. I want to have a child that has a BOM_QTY of 1 and another that has a QTY of 0.5. I cannot change the "Base Quantity" field in the "Document Properties" box.

Does anyone know if this is possible in an iAssembly?

I have attached a picture.

Thanks,

Ryan
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Message 4 of 4
Maxim-CADman77

How do you live with unchecking the box to use the Unit String?

Don't you need components as length, mass, or volume?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report