Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guru Quiz - accessing internal part parameters

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
265 Views, 7 Replies

Guru Quiz - accessing internal part parameters

Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The dimensions are in the parameters table i.e. Thickness, Bend Radius. Check Seans and Kents sites for tools to extract this information. Mark Zimmerle wrote: > > Gurus, > > I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet > metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, > TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, > let's say the Title Block? > > TIA > -- > Mark Zimmerle > -- >
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

He may want to capture the name of the active style. I don't think that it is possible but I could be wrong. Kathy Johnson
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

In your IPT, create a new Material that has the same name as your sheet metal style. In your IDW, add a property to your title block that pulls the material from the IPT. Mike "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:407169de_2@newsprd01... Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Mike, This is a "useable" work around, but I would like to (as Kathy made mention) have access to the parameter "ACTIVE STYLE", since this contains the THICKNESS and MATERIAL, as well as other parameters related to the specific Sheet Metal Style. I cannot 'get to' the Active Style. What I would like to do is to pass the parameters into a Drawing Title Block. If I change the material or SM Style, I do not want to have to remember to go and change tow or three or four ... other parameters / fields. I thought that software was a tool that made one's job easier. Am I wrong? I also thought that a computer allowed for faster editing than the more 'traditional' method of editing "by hand". It is starting to sound like AD doesn't want that param touched. Please correct if I am of base here. TIA -- Mark Zimmerle -- "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:40717dac_1@newsprd01... In your IPT, create a new Material that has the same name as your sheet metal style. In your IDW, add a property to your title block that pulls the material from the IPT. Mike "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:407169de_2@newsprd01... Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Mark, Some of what you want can be done without programming, and all of what you want could be accomplished with a VBA program. The numeric properties associated with the active sheet metal style (Thickness, BendRadius, and so on) are exposed as parameter values in the sheet metal part. You can export these parameters (export parameter checkbox) as custom properties and then recover these custom model parameters in the drawing title block (see attached image). The IV object model exposes an ActiveSheetMetalStyle object that contains all information about the sheet metal style (including name, material, and so on). So it is not as easy as it might be, but you can get there from here. HTH Neil "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:40718da2_3@newsprd01... Mike, This is a "useable" work around, but I would like to (as Kathy made mention) have access to the parameter "ACTIVE STYLE", since this contains the THICKNESS and MATERIAL, as well as other parameters related to the specific Sheet Metal Style. I cannot 'get to' the Active Style. What I would like to do is to pass the parameters into a Drawing Title Block. If I change the material or SM Style, I do not want to have to remember to go and change tow or three or four ... other parameters / fields. I thought that software was a tool that made one's job easier. Am I wrong? I also thought that a computer allowed for faster editing than the more 'traditional' method of editing "by hand". It is starting to sound like AD doesn't want that param touched. Please correct if I am of base here. TIA -- Mark Zimmerle -- "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:40717dac_1@newsprd01... In your IPT, create a new Material that has the same name as your sheet metal style. In your IDW, add a property to your title block that pulls the material from the IPT. Mike "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:407169de_2@newsprd01... Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Mark I've made a add-in called iProperty Collection which adds many of these 'missing' informations as custom properties, so they call be placed in the title block. Take a look at the add-in and let me know if you need other SM properties e.g. BendRadius Link to my site http://hjem.get2net.dk/opad/ Regards Patrick This is some of SM properties (controled from a ini file) that the add-in adds to the SM part everty it's saved: [Sheet Metal Options] 'Name of Custom Property for the Sheet Metal Extents (Width x Lenght) SMExtentsSizePropertyName=SM_Extents 'Names of 2 Custom Property for the Sheet Metal Extents Width and Lenght values SMWidthSizePropertyName=SM_Extents_Width SMLengthSizePropertyName=SM_Extents_Length 'Text to place in the Extents Property if no flatpattern exist SMExtentsSizeIfNotAvailable=N/A 'Name of Custom Property for the selected Sheet Metal Thickness SMThicknessPropertyName=SM_Thickness 'Name of Custom Property for the selected Sheet Metal Style SMStylePropertyName=SM_Style "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:407169de_2@newsprd01... Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

That's marvellous Patrick! I've been wanting to add Sheet Metal Styles to my drawings for ages. Thanks again, -- Cheers, Rob Singlehurst Win2K SP4 IV8 "Patrick de Stobbeleir" wrote in message news:4071b01d$1_2@newsprd01... Hi Mark I've made a add-in called iProperty Collection which adds many of these 'missing' informations as custom properties, so they call be placed in the title block. Take a look at the add-in and let me know if you need other SM properties e.g. BendRadius Link to my site http://hjem.get2net.dk/opad/ Regards Patrick This is some of SM properties (controled from a ini file) that the add-in adds to the SM part everty it's saved: [Sheet Metal Options] 'Name of Custom Property for the Sheet Metal Extents (Width x Lenght) SMExtentsSizePropertyName=SM_Extents 'Names of 2 Custom Property for the Sheet Metal Extents Width and Lenght values SMWidthSizePropertyName=SM_Extents_Width SMLengthSizePropertyName=SM_Extents_Length 'Text to place in the Extents Property if no flatpattern exist SMExtentsSizeIfNotAvailable=N/A 'Name of Custom Property for the selected Sheet Metal Thickness SMThicknessPropertyName=SM_Thickness 'Name of Custom Property for the selected Sheet Metal Style SMStylePropertyName=SM_Style "Mark Zimmerle" wrote in message news:407169de_2@newsprd01... Gurus, I have a question regarding the parameters that are used in the sheet metal mode of IV. Can I access the "Active Style" for use in the BOM, TB, and other extraction aspects? If so, how can I tie this into, let's say the Title Block? TIA -- Mark Zimmerle --

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report