Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX-690

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
cbenner
1471 Views, 24 Replies

GTX-690

This is a question I don't even really want to ask.  I'm very happy with my current graphics card, GTX-680.  It does everything we need it to do.  but since we're buying new PC's, our IT was directed to investigate new cards.  The one they came up with that I am supposed to ask about is the GTX-690... the next step up from what we currently have.

Is anyone using this card, and if so are you having any issues or problems?  We do not do any heavy rendering or simulation, just your average day to day modeling and assembly work.  Nothing that is going to heavily tax a graphics card.

I had to ask....  TIA.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
-niels-
in reply to: cbenner

Is this along the line of "redundant question is redundant"? 😛
I'm using a GTX-670, so can't answer the question anyway.

I guess you won't run into any different problems with the 690 than your current 680, since it's still in the same family of cards.

That's just my guess, but i think you're probably guessing the same.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 25
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

Dear user.. Please reference the Autodesk certified hardware listing.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 25
-niels-
in reply to: mcgyvr

Lol, i'd rather not... that thing only lists quadro cards for inventor.
If anything i'd rather link to the FAQ for Inventor graphic hardware:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16494456
😉

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 25
mbenoy

That's more than just a step above what you have.  It's a dual GPU card and is 2.5X more expensive than the one you currently have.  They are currently in the $1000 range.  More than some good Quadro cards.  I think the actual next step above the GTX680 in the charts is the 700 series.  When Nvidia gets into the X90 range it's usually dual GPU cards.  Example, a GTX 590 would outperform your GTX 680 due to dual GPU.

Given your stated type of use, it seems like overkill.  I run a GTX 760 with no issues.  But just my opinion.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
Message 6 of 25
cbenner
Message 7 of 25
DarrenP

i don't see why you would run into any issues with that card

you would probably gain more performance than lose any with that card

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 25
blair
in reply to: DarrenP

I've been running one since February without any problems. The GTX Titan was released just after I got my 690 or I would have gone with the Titan. The new GTX780 would be my choice today.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 25
blair
in reply to: blair

The GTX 680 benches out better than the GTX 680: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 25
mcgyvr
in reply to: DarrenP

oh dear god.. I didn't even look.. I don't keep up on the cards like you folks do... That is $1000+ card... Why would you even entertain that? its NOT worth it... Unless you work for one of those companies that MUST spend extra capital this year.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 25
blair

sorry, 680 better than the 690. still can't edit posts from work on the new forum.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 25
blair

I would be going with the GTX 780ti, benches out faster and is cheaper at $700.00 If you think the GXT cards are expensive, price out the Quadro cards (if you need OpenGL). You can build/buy a good system for the price of a graphics card.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 25
cbenner
in reply to: mbenoy

For the record... I'm not entertaining this.  We have the 680 and I am happy as a camel on Wednesday (guess what day it is!!) with it's performance.  My intention was to keep these cards and put them into whatever machines we buy.  Save a ton of money that way too!  But, we were asked to benchmark new ones, and this was the one they wanted to know more about.

Thank you all for your responses, I am still going to push to keep what we've got.  If it ain't broke....

Message 14 of 25
GSE_Dan_A

Past: If it ain't broke.... Don't fix it!

Now: If it ain't broke....Give it a few months!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 15 of 25
blair
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Make sure you weren't the last to touch it, if you were, can you lie, if not RUN! 🙂

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 25
cbenner
Message 17 of 25
earl.motley.966

@cbenner wrote:

This is a question I don't even really want to ask.  I'm very happy with my current graphics card, GTX-680.  It does everything we need it to do.  but since we're buying new PC's, our IT was directed to investigate new cards.  The one they came up with that I am supposed to ask about is the GTX-690... the next step up from what we currently have.

Is anyone using this card, and if so are you having any issues or problems?  We do not do any heavy rendering or simulation, just your average day to day modeling and assembly work.  Nothing that is going to heavily Personal Tax a graphics card.

I had to ask....  TIA.

Now a days that cards are masterpiece but there are more valuable cards available now. Where you can do anything related to 3d and its won't give you a low speed. But they are with high taxes :v

Message 18 of 25
JonathanKruger

I think this thread is so old he probably has replaced his GPU twice since there last post. But yeah graphics cards don't always age gracefully. 

Edit: except the 1080ti, that card was a legend

If this solves your issue please mark this posting with the "ACCEPT SOLUTION".
If you like something that was said or if it was helpful, Likes are appreciated. Thanks!
Message 19 of 25
SBix26
in reply to: JonathanKruger

@JonathanKruger wrote:

I think this thread is so old he probably has replaced his GPU twice since there last post.

I think Autodesk is buying graphics cards for him now, right @CGBenner? 😉

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 20 of 25
CGBenner
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 

Indeed they do.  I couldn't even tell you what card is in this laptop I've been using.  😂

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report