Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ground to origin

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
signmeup
8765 Views, 18 Replies

ground to origin

I'd like to have a menu option next to "Grounded" which is "Grounded to origin", to save setting three flush constraints every time I pull a part into an assembly and want it to have the same origin as the assembly. This is something I do quite a lot using the multibody part > derived part > assembly workflow. Apart from saving time it would save cluttering up the model browser. In the meantime is there a scripting method of doing this with one click?

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
sam_m
in reply to: signmeup

Have you tried "Ground and Root Component"?

Assembly ribbon -> Productivity drop-down -> Ground and Root (as shown in the attached pic)

it will assign a flush contraint to all 3 origin-planes, thus locking the part to the origin - isn't that what you're after?

The annoying by-product is re-shuffling the browser-tree, moving this part to the top, which is a little frustrating at times...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 19
signmeup
in reply to: sam_m

I'd never even looked at the productivity drop down so thanks a lot for that. You're right that it doesn't make any sense to move the component to the top of the browser, but it's easy enough to drag it back to its former place in the tree.

I still have a problem in that there is no indication that the component is grounded at the origin. It could be grounded anywhere, or just 0.01mm off. Doesn't make for robust modelling or make it possible to quickly verify a model. Checking would mean manually measuring between each plane. It wouldn't even have to be a separate command, it could just be a different color pin when a component is grounded to the assembly origin. [I've bolded this because I think it's a really good idea that could be easily implemented - anyone like to vote on this?]

Another way of doing it is to use the "place at component origin" command and select the base component, or have a special "origin" component. This command only works on new components being placed and not ones already in the assembly, and still there is no easily verified indication in the browser. The flush constraints are not necessarily to origin planes.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 19
pcunningham1

@signmeup wrote:
...Checking would mean manually measuring between each plane...

I'm using an older version, but the way I ground a component to the origin, or verify it, is by using the RMB>Properties>Occurence Tab.

Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 5 of 19
signmeup
in reply to: pcunningham1

Thanks. Awesome. I've never even noticed that tab before. It's also an easy way to ground a component to the origin just by typing zeros into the offset boxes and clicking the ground checkbox. I also noticed that using the productivity button creates redundant constraints... obvious in the latest version now redundant constraints are flagged. So these are a sort of visual verification, although again it's not transparent what the constraints are to.

I still think a coloured pin is a good idea.

Message 6 of 19
pcunningham1

@signmeup wrote:

... It's also an easy way to ground a component to the origin just by typing zeros into the offset boxes and clicking the ground checkbox. ..

Yep, that's exactly how I do it. I only wish it would let you change the angular orientation there as well.

Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 7 of 19
nwrensch
in reply to: sam_m

Did not work, most of the time I tryed it the part disapered, when it did finally stay it did not constain to the 3 origin planes. I had to do it manually. Got a better idea?

Thanks

Norm

Message 8 of 19
mdavis22569
in reply to: nwrensch

this is from 2011 ... start new thread and explain what you'd like to see or what you're trying to do

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
JDMather

Have you tried right click Ground at Origin when placing the component?

What version of Inventor are you using?

Grounded.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
nwrensch
in reply to: JDMather

I am using 2016 and I want my first part in an assembly grounded, I don't
care about the rest as they will be constrained to the first part. There
must be a simple way to insert the first part on orign and not have it
rotate and move all over, but I have not found it.

Thanks

Norm Wrensch
Manufacturing Engineer
MPI Products LLC
101 Grand Ave.
Deerfield, WI 53531
Phone: 608.764.5416 ext, 114
Fax: 608.764.8408
nwrensch@mpiproducts.com
www.mpi-int.com
Message 11 of 19
mdavis22569

When you place your first item in an assembly file, it should automatically be grounded 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 wrote:

When you place your first item in an assembly file, it should automatically be grounded 

No.

This behavior was changed in r2014 or r2015

If you want the old behavior to be the default then change Application Options.

Otherwise right click when placing the first (or any) component.

Application Options.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
nwrensch

I wish, unless I'm doing it wrong. Everything I have put in an assembly is
free to go where ever it want's unless I constrain it to the 3 planes
manually. i've tried clicking on the UCS when placing, nothing happens. I'm
missing something then.

Thanks

Norm Wrensch
Manufacturing Engineer
MPI Products LLC
101 Grand Ave.
Deerfield, WI 53531
nwrensch@mpiproducts.com
www.mpi-int.com
Message 14 of 19
mdavis22569

See @JDMather post ... make sure you have the ground first item check in the application options ( I mis-spoke, as I import my application options when I install a new version, and forgot that you have to check it the first time) .. then place your first item in the assembly

after that YES you will need to constraint new items you bring into the assembly (up to 3 for each assembly/part you bring in) depending on how you start the constraint and what it is ... a nut or  screws could be 1 or 2 contraints , a plate should be 3 constraints, ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
JDMather

@mdavis22569 wrote:

after that YES you will need to constraint new items you bring into the assembly .... ...

You can Ground at the origin any component when placing.

So, if you have components modeled in body postion simple ground each as placing.

Any Component.png

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
mdavis22569

and ......

if you  create all your parts on the origin points/planes ...and you use the place ground at origin ... you can end up with things inside of things ...

I was just trying to point out the other side ...she's still going to need to place constraints depending on how it was made. 

Capture.PNG

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
nwrensch

yes I realize that I have to be constraining to the grounded part, I just
couldn't get it grounded. 'Ive been doing this for 20 yrs, but just not
with Inventor. I've used MDT, unigraphics, and SolidWorks, most of my
experience is with SolidWorks.

Thanks

Norm Wrensch
Manufacturing Engineer
MPI Products LLC
101 Grand Ave.
Deerfield, WI 53531
nwrensch@mpiproducts.com
www.mpi-int.com
Message 18 of 19
JDMather

Did you figure out how to set the Default behavior?

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
nwrensch

Yes I did, to bad there wasn't anything I could find in help about that.
And I didn't see it in the tutorials either. Works good now.

Thanks

Norm Wrensch
Manufacturing Engineer
MPI Products LLC
101 Grand Ave.
Deerfield, WI 53531
nwrensch@mpiproducts.com
www.mpi-int.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report