Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Screen Freezes

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
JayRichardson
1581 Views, 20 Replies

Graphics Screen Freezes

I've had an ongoing problem with IV2010 and now with 2011.  Occasionally, the IV graphics window locks up.  The file can still be saved, and the feature manager is accessible, but IV must be closed and reopened to work properly again.  It seems to only happen when multiple files are open, maybe 3 or more.  So I might tab from one part to another and then suddenly the graphics window shows the previously viewed part, and it's locked up.  If I then maximize email or the desktop and then minimize again, the graphics window will show a view of that instead.  I'm not having any other performance issues.

New computer:

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel® Xeon® CPU

W3520 @2.67 GHz

2.67 GHz, 5.98 GB RAM

Windows XP x64 Ed. 2003 SP2

NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 w/ latest driver

Virt. Mem. Paging file size set at 2046 MB

Old computer was a 32 bit with less ram and less powerful graphics card.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Try doubling the size of your paging file. Set it the same for both Min and Max.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the quick response, Dennis.

The settings were:

Initial size (MB): 2046

Maximum size (MB): 4092

Recommended: 9189 MB

I changed both Initial and Max size to 9189.

The problem was intermittent, so I'll see what happens in the next few days and report back with results.

Message 4 of 21
shastu
in reply to: JayRichardson

I am still seeing this from time to time as well and I have my settings set as you suggested.  Any other ideas?  It seems to be fine for quite some time no matter how many files I have open, and then all of a sudden I will see the problem again with not much open at all.

Message 5 of 21
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: shastu

Try also setting "Compatibility " mode in Tools >> Application Options >> Hardware tab

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 21

Since upgrading, I've only had the graphics freeze-up issue happen once, however, I've noticed a different issue that keeps popping up lately.  The attached picture shows what happens in the graphics window.  When I move the mouse, the visual giberish goes away and the screen goes back to normal, with no lock-up or anything.  This is just an annoyance, and at least it doesn't require a re-start.

I did change the "compatability" setting as Dennis suggested, but this latest problem has happened before and after.

I'll keep monitoring it and see what happens.

Message 7 of 21

End of day update:  Experienced same freeze-ups as before when six IV files were open (not large or complex files).  Had to close all files and IV, then reopen.  Also had tracking going on with dimensions, that I thought SP1 had fixed, but apparently not.

Message 8 of 21
candv1

I am having the same issue

2.8Ghz

Nvidia FX 1800

Win7 - 64bit

12G RAM

this has only started to occur since installing a 3D Connection Space Navigator, since i have updated the driver to the latest  8.17.11.9703 and have uninstall the Navigator

Message 9 of 21
candv1
in reply to: candv1

i have wound back my driver and unistalled the 3d navigator but this issue has continued, even a different graphics card makes no difference.

Does any one else have this same issue

Message 10 of 21
~master

I had the same thing. For me getting rid of the logitech mouse driver was the solution.

Message 11 of 21
candv1

This is still an issue.

I dont have a logitech driver loaded, the compatability switch did not make any difference.

This is becoming very annoying when only Inventor is effected, on occasions I have had ACAD running in the back ground and the driver issue does not effect this

has any one got any suggestions

Message 12 of 21
grahamglen

Hi All,

I'm having these exact problems myself ... and I thought I was all alone with it !

My screenshots are attached, and since upgrading to 2011 I suffer this freezing, and locking up 2 to 3 times a day.  I have to logout, and restart the PC each time to get a stable platform for the next few hours.

I've tried graphics drivers, Latest, oldest, verified, approved you name it and I cant get Inventor to behave ... even if I use "Compatability" mode it makes no difference.

Any help or advise would be most appreciated.

Windows XP Professional x64 Version 2003 SP2
NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 (DirectX version 9.0)
NVIDIA driver version 6.14.11.9703 (10/03/2010)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00 GHz
10.0 GB of RAM
3DConnexion Plus USB Spacemouse (Driver Version 6.7.13) (firmware 2.27)
Inventor 2011 64-Bit Build: 535, Release: 2011 SSR
Message 13 of 21
JayRichardson

That looks like what I sometimes get in the toolbar across the top, and sometimes in the manager tree on the left.  Usually my graphics area just freezes up with the view of the part I'm currently working on, but if I minimize IV and then maximize, the graphics area will show a portion of my desktop or whatever was on screen when IV was minimized.  Lately I have to re-boot to fix the issue, until it happens again.

Message 14 of 21
grahamglen

Hi Jay,

I've had exactly what you get too .... at least I know it's not just me.  Out of 4 CAD machines upgraded in my office I am the olny one to suffer this, and all the machines were upgraded to 2011 at the same time, and mine was the first done !

Our IT support guys have tried most things to try and fix it, but nothing has worked.  They are thinking about a complete PC rebuild by re-installing XP64bit and a re-install of Inventor ... but this takes some time and theres no guarantee it will solve the problem !

Keep me upto date on anything you try and improves the problem I am slowiy pulling my hair out with it !

Have you ever had similar graphics problems with rotating models, I've attached some shots to look at.

Thanks.

10.0 GB of RAM
Message 15 of 21
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: grahamglen

Systems specs would help.... See this:

http://teknigroup.com/support/Inventor/Howto.html

Message 16 of 21
JayRichardson

Glen,

One time I got those crazy red lines just like your attachment, but only the one time.  I don't remember if it was a part or assembly.  If you look at the attachment from one of my posts on the first page of this thread, you'll see one of my screen shots of the graphics issue.

A month or so ago, I got a new 64 bit computer, my old one was 32 bit.  The new computer supposedly has a better graphics card and more power, ram, etc., but I still occasionally get the graphics freeze up.

On another note, regarding this forum, when I hit the reply button in your post, it actually seems to be replying to a different post.  Don't know why.  It also locks up when I start typing my reply, and I have to wait a minute to resume.  Maybe some bug in the system today.

Message 17 of 21
grahamglen
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for including all the tech stuff, I'm just a CAD jockey and only have to use it ... I rarely delve into the techie side of things !

Hope this is the right info;

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  E5405 @ 2.00 GHz

10.0 GB of RAM

10.0 GB of RAM
Message 18 of 21
candv1

This is not the same issue I am having

My Screen turns black, and when i comes back I get a warning that my driver has failed, I can save everything but the graphics section of my screen is generally white.

I am starting to suspect it is a memory issue, as it has only really started to occur once I pushed my memory to 12 Gig

Message 19 of 21
Rene-J

We hate the same problems.

For 3 weeks ago, we change our computer from

win xp to win 7 64 bit., it seem to have solve our problems.

René J

Message 20 of 21
idrivea911

I just 'upgraded' to 2013 and I get the frozen window everytime I lock my computer, which is around 20 times/day.  Each time I have to save and close IV and open it up again, and then figure out where in my process I was and what I was doing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report