Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Export

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
smjanows
702 Views, 10 Replies

Graphics Export

Has anyone else had problems with exporting PNG and other graphics files from Inventor 2012?  I'm quite sure this is a graphics driver / card issue but it's related to 2012 SP1 as well.  When trying to get a PNG of an assembly, 2010 has no problem generating it.  2012 on the other hand will generate a file that is all black, or worse, crash the graphics driver.  If the image resolution is kept small, it works, but going over 4K pixels is when the problem beings for my particular assembly.  Checking the software graphics box is a workaround in 2012.  Is there a permanent fix?

GTX480 296.10 and 8800 GTS 296.10 on Win7 x64.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: smjanows

What method are you using to capture the image? Is this a model or a drawing?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr

You say 4K pixels..Does that mean you are putting 4000 in X and 4000 in Y or 4K total? I'll try it myself but want to use the same Bitmap Save Options

I've just saved over 500 PNGs from Inventor in the last few weeks for our new website but just had 900 in the X and left Y alone.. and didn't have any problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
smjanows
in reply to: mcgyvr

4k in X, leaving Y at 0.    The assembly has 3642 instances, 585 unique parts.  When I try 5K pixels in X, it no longer works.  I'm trying to get 10K pixels for poster quality images.  However, I do not want too flashy of graphics, just high res.

Message 5 of 11
mrattray

It works fine for me in 2012 SP1. I tried 4k x 0 and 5k x 0. I used an assembly with 3897 instances of 107 uniques.

Using Win 7 x64

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 11
smjanows

It turns out that it was a sheet metal part.  Inventor didn't like my rip and groove weld.  After making a derived part of that weldment, it generated the PNG, and the weld seam artifacting was gone too...  However, turning on all the shadows and reflections in realistic mode, crashed IV on the machine with the 8800GTS and current driver.

I just installed BETA graphics driver 301.24 on the 480 GTX machine.  Turning all the shadows and reflections on, the graphics driver crashed upon generation of a 10K X pixel PNG.

Message 7 of 11
mrattray

Have you considered using Showcase?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 11
smjanows
in reply to: mrattray

I have used showcase.  That has it's place, but not for journal papers and posters.  It's strangely enough, too realistic for what we need to display.

Message 9 of 11
smjanows

It's ambient shadows that crashes it.  Changing to software graphics is still the workaround for hi-res images.  But it still adds something strange to the image as seen below.

The right side of the image has some ghosted imagery that should not be there.Software Graphics Export.jpg

TIFF, BMP,and JPEG exports do the same as PNG.

Turning off ambient shadows produces the image below, which still has a ghosted overlay on the right.

Software Graphics Export 2.jpg

At 9000 pixels, the ghosted band is smaller relative to the rest, but why is it there at all?

Message 10 of 11
mrattray

Is the edge of the "ghost ring" corresponding with the edge of your viewport? Perhaps if you set the x/y to correspond with the aspect ratio of your viewport?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
smjanows
in reply to: mrattray

No, the view port is the image size.  Leaving Y as a zero dimension makes the ratio to the viewport.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report