Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph Hydraulic Cylinder Load

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rway
2064 Views, 6 Replies

Graph Hydraulic Cylinder Load

I have a cantilevered arm that must rotate from 0 to 90 degrees. I would like to lift this arm with a hydraulic cylinder. How do I (using Dynamic Simulation in Inventor 2010) graph the actual load that the cylinder is under for each degree of rotation of the arm. I can use the spring/damper/jack joint (using negative values, reverse of a jack) and apply a load and graph this but the load is constantly increasing. In the scenario of lifting this arm the load will actually decrease at some point of rotaion. I would like to see the true loads throughout its rotation.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
henderh
in reply to: rway

Hi rway,

You can use DS’s Unknown Force. Unknown force can be used to calculate the effort required to keep a dynamic (unbalanced) system in static equilibrium, moving through a range of motion in a degree of freedom.

Since you are using a hydraulic cylinder, you can choose the cylindrical (or prismatic) joint in the Unknown Force dialog.

If you'd like an example, please let me know and I can create one post it up. Also, which version of Inventor are you using?

Thanks,

Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)
Inventor Simulation SQA Engineer

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 7
rway

Thanks for the quick response. An example would be greatly appreciated. I am using Inventor 2010 Professional.
Message 4 of 7
henderh

Hi Rway,

1) Open the assembly in DS
2) Invoke the Unknown force command
3) Press OK button

In the output grapher, you'll be able to see the required force (the Unknown Force) to lift the "boom" against gravity and a 50 N hanging load at the end.

I hope this helps...

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestsion.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 5 of 7
henderh

Image attached

{color:#999999}[Edit: Now I see you mentioned using R2010 in your initial post]{color}

Hugh Henderson
Message 6 of 7
mech_royalabhi

I have a cantilevered arm that must rotate from 0 to 110 degrees. I would like to lift this arm with a hydraulic cylinder. How do I calculate the actual load using Dynamic Simulation in Inventor 2012 .

In the scenario of lifting this arm the load will actually decrease at some point of rotaion. I would like to see the true loads throughout its rotation. Can anyone please provide the step by step procedure to do this.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: mech_royalabhi

I recommend purchasing the book by Wasim Younis.

Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report