Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good on but not able to reproduce

57 REPLIES 57
Message 1 of 58
jiml
365 Views, 57 Replies

Good on but not able to reproduce

On only on machine if you do a save copy as lets say take 123.ipt save as 234.ipt. Go find 234.ipt open, the browser name is 123.ipt and the name of the open file at the top is 123.ipt open properties > project part name is 234. So what then if even a simple save as don't work. This is the work around open 234.ipt in the browser rename file that says its a 123 change to 234 save, close, open its fine. That (edited) if a simple save as don't work.
57 REPLIES 57
Message 2 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: jiml

I can't reproduce your problem description. It works just as expected on my machine. So where do you think this particular problem you are trying to describe occurs? In Inventor, Windows, or the hardware? It would have been very helpful if you had posted 234.ipt to IVCF with 123 in the part name before renaming in the browser, of course once you rename in the browser that name is going to override all others. For example if you rename 123 to 234 in the browser and then save copy as 345.ipt and then open 345.ipt the name in the browser will still be 234.
J.D.
Message 3 of 58
Anonymous

The only way I have ever seen a file retain the same filename (not
browser name) after a SAVECOPYAS is by operator.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Xenogen

Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
1.5 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
nVidia 6.14.10.4351 drivers
Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 4 of 58
jiml

Its hard to say does Inventor use the windows save copy as or does inventor have its own. Till you find that answer you will not be able to find the problem. And yes I did say you can not reproduce the problem it's only on one machine. Hardware I realy don't think so. Posting files would not help. Getting Inventor to do what they praise about would be nice. going to have him shut down and restart to see if that helps. I'm just upset and autodesk as much as I say you think they would call but they don't give a rip.
Message 5 of 58
Anonymous

I haven't had this issue with parts, but I've had a
few assemblies that keep the old part name when I do a Replace
Component...  Just the other day, I was doing several replaces and all the
replaced parts' names changed when I did the replace except for one.  Never
could figure out why...I think it still has the old name on it.

-Brian
Message 6 of 58
jiml

filenames are not the same can you read filenames are different browser names are the same learn to read hal
Message 7 of 58
Anonymous

jiml wrote:
> filenames are not the same can you read filenames are different browser
> names are the same learn to read hal

Sorry, had a problem with your lack of grammar.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Xenogen

Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
1.5 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 8 of 58
Anonymous

>The only way I have ever seen...snip...is by operator.

We have somewhere around 175 seats of Inventor in 7 labs running on several different platforms. Each lab has identical machines with a program called Deep-Freeze that returns the set-up to as configured by IT each time the machine is rebooted. So if one particular machine exhibits problems it can be quickly identified and corrected. The first thing I have learned is that 24 identical machines in a lab may work prefectly while the 25 machine might exhibit problems. Our IT person is very good at finding the problem in the hardware and correcting it. You might want to hire someone very knowledgable to look at your hardware. The second thing I have learned is that it seems my poorest students are always the ones who seem to be having problems day-after-day with crashes. And typically they cannot reproduce the procedure that caused the crash. The files that they do manage to complete and turn in typically show a poor understanding of parametric modeling technique.

There are certain known issues in Inventor to be sure. Certain operations that I always tell the students, "before you do the next operation be sure to save you file." Funny thing is, it always seems to work for me and I can pretty much predict who is going to crash. J.D.
Message 9 of 58
Anonymous

Moderator hat off, User hat on.

I know that they made a attempt at contacting you earlier, but your bogus email address
(which you appear to still be using) caused it to bounce. Besides to be honest your
posts never really say much that anyone is going to be of any help to. "8 crashes today"
just doesn't lend itself to something anyone would be inclined to spend much effort on
helping. You have to help yourself out by being more descriptive and actually wanting
help.

You say you used to be a tech at a dealer. How would you deal with a customer call that
said "I had 8 crashes today, but I know what I am doing, so don't try to tell me it is my
hardware or my setup or something I am doing wrong. Now fix it, but I don't want to put
out any effort to help you fix it? I think you might have a hard time as you say "giving
a rip" either.

I will say this is the most descriptive post I have ever seen from you, and hopefully
someone will be able to help. I personally haven't run into the problem so I don't have
much to suggest. To help out though, are you aware of the Macro on Drews site that will
change the name in the browser to various possibilities. I think it is in with the Bonus
tools Macros.

If everyone was having the trouble you are, then I think we would all agree that the
software was junk, but most of us aren't having anywhere near the problems. There has to
be another factor.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"jiml" wrote in message news:f173757.2@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...

I'm just upset and autodesk as much as I say you think they would call but they don't
give a rip.
Message 10 of 58
jiml

crashes are random no real way of saying. like one time just went to change window I was viewing (an ipt) went to go back to iam crash
Message 11 of 58
Anonymous

>filenames are not the same can you read filenames are different browser names are the same learn to read hal

archy and mehitabel was supposedly written by a cockroach. It's difficult enough to operate the typewriter's return bar to get a fresh line of paper; all of Archy's dispatches are written lowercase, and without punctuation, because he is unable to hit both shift and letter keys to produce a capital letter.
"boss i am disappointed in some of your readers," he writes, weary of having to explain the mechanics of his literary output. " ... they are always interested in TECHNICAL DETAILS (my emphasis added) when the main question is whether the stuff is literature or not."
Marquis, Don (1927). archy and mehitabel.
Message 12 of 58
jmartzig

'junk' is a pretty strong word kent, i think ALOT of us would agree the software is unstable, and un-finished though. -Joe
Message 13 of 58
jiml

Look one more time. take part 1 save as part 2 leaveing part 1 open go get part 2 open. part 2 in the browser reads part 1 do tile windows so you can see both part 1 and the save copy as part 2 still say part 1 I am haveing him do it again and I will post the two files so Hal can see. the fils are save as from one part and then a save as again but in the browser the are the same. one is called jim the second jim-1 but the browser still show the long file name I save as from. Go look .
Message 14 of 58
jiml

go look it is there
Message 15 of 58
Anonymous

Have you run through the troubleshooting guide that was posted? Have you tried a
different video card and run tests on memory. Is this one or two machines or do all of
them exhibit the same random problems.

The more info you can share about what is happening and what you have done to try to track
it down the more people are going to be able to "TRY" to help. Maybe no one will be able
to figure it out, but the more that is known by a large group of people the more likely a
solution can be found.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator

"jiml" wrote in message news:f173757.8@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> crashes are random no real way of saying. like one time just went to change window I was
viewing (an ipt) went to go back to iam crash
Message 16 of 58
Anonymous

JDMATHER wrote:
> The second thing I have
> learned is that it seems my poorest students are always the ones who
> seem to be having problems day-after-day with crashes. And typically
> they cannot reproduce the procedure that caused the crash. The files
> that they do manage to complete and turn in typically show a poor
> understanding of parametric modeling technique.
> There are certain known issues in Inventor to be sure. Certain
> operations that I always tell the students, "before you do the next
> operation be sure to save you file." Funny thing is, it always seems
> to work for me and I can pretty much predict who is going to crash.
> J.D.
>

Yes, I always knew how my students were progressing by the
errors/anomalies/crashes they were producing.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Xenogen

Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
1.5 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 17 of 58
Anonymous

Not unstable here. I've left Inventor running continuously 24/7 for over a
week at a time (working at least 12 hrs/day) without a single crash. As for
being un-finished, have to agree: but ... then again ... I doubt Inventor
will ever be finished until it's actually "finished" ... "kaput". All
the issues that have been addressed in the previous releases up to now have
all become irrelevant; when they address a complaint we move on to another;
seems kind of like trying to fill up a Black Hole. Wonder if developing
software could be considered a thankless job ... ya' think?
~Larry

"jmartzig" wrote in message
news:f173757.10@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> 'junk' is a pretty strong word kent, i think ALOT of us would agree the
software is unstable, and un-finished though. -Joe
Message 18 of 58
Anonymous

Don't take me out of context. 8^) I did not say the software was junk.

The first part of that statement went like

"If everyone was having the trouble you are, then I think we would all agree"

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator

"jmartzig" wrote in message news:f173757.10@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> 'junk' is a pretty strong word kent, i think ALOT of us would agree the software is
unstable, and un-finished though. -Joe
Message 19 of 58
Anonymous

I have attempted the procedure EXACTLY as you described. My 2nd part is renamed
Part2.ipt, even with Part1.ipt open.

--
Dave Jacquemotte
Automation Designer
www.autoconcorp.com

"jiml" wrote in message news:f173757.11@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Look one more time. take part 1 save as part 2 leaveing part 1 open go get
part 2 open. part 2 in the browser reads part 1 do tile windows so you can see
both part 1 and the save copy as part 2 still say part 1 I am haveing him do it
again and I will post the two files so Hal can see. the fils are save as from
one part and then a save as again but in the browser the are the same. one is
called jim the second jim-1 but the browser still show the long file name I save
as from. Go look .
Message 20 of 58
LloydM

I have been using IV 7 for about 3 months now. Never used IV before that. I have not had any "crashes", "poofs" or the like. I have had the garbled text and a few simple problems, but work around them. I know what I do for work isn't as technical or big as most of the people on here, so I don't know if that is part of it or not, but I have to agree with Kent that it has to be more than just the software causing a lot of the problems.

Lloyd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report