Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the environment right

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
NachitoMax
246 Views, 2 Replies

Getting the environment right

Hi

Something that is really frustrating me..... i reset my axis planes xy & z showing x=North, y=right & z=up (the same as CAD). now, why cant it be like that at the start? so after i do this, when i create a sketch, it acts strange. for example:

i could be looking at the side of my model and it is standing upright (the correct way). i create a new sketch on a face and the model rotates 180 degrees making it upsidedown... why does it do this? its so frustrating.

Is there a guide on how to set up the environment correct and also how to stop the model choosing its own incorrect orientation.

thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: NachitoMax

@nmjshaw150 wrote:
... x=North, y=right & z=up (the same as CAD).

Nigel

Same as what CAD.  In the other CAD programs I use (SolidWorks and Creo) the x positive and to the right, and y positive is to top, z positive is comming out of the screen.

Tools>Application Options - I turn off the auto rotation on sketch create and then don't give it any more thought.

I can turn the model with my Space Navigator to desired orientation.

In later versions of Inventor you can right click on the view cube if desired to change orientation.

CAD - Computer Aided Design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
NachitoMax
in reply to: JDMather

Hi

Sorry, I refer to CAD as autocad. I don't have the option you mention in my application options. The only thing close is a tick box called. "Keep model upright"' which is currently ticked. I'll try un ticking that 🙂

Thanks

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report